PDA

View Full Version : 94 530i ac problems, Help please

elc42
09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I just bought today a 1994 530i knowing the air conditioning wasn't working. I thought I might get lucky and it would be just a fuse. Well after I got it home I realized the fuses were fine. The compressor does not engage but I can spin it by hand. The aux fan is also not working at all but the blade spins freely. When I press the air conditioning button I hear a slight difference in the motor but no compressor engagement. Is it possible for both the compressor and aux fan to go bad at the same time? I also checked the sight glass and depressed both suction and discharge nipples. Did not see anything in the sightglass and no sound came from the nipples when depressed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I believe the system is empty. The previous owner told me it worked fine until a month ago and he didn't want to dump anymore money into it. Thanks

Kalevera
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Welcome!

Take it to a shop and have it evacuated, then have them see if it will hold a vacuum for 15 minutes. If it does that, ask them to charge it and add dye to the system.

best, whit

Tiger
09-03-2005, 07:46 AM
If you want to repair it yourself, you need at least a gauge to see what the pressure is... It is probably low on pressure which will not allow the compressor to engage.

Scott C
09-03-2005, 08:58 AM
If you want to repair it yourself, you need at least a gauge to see what the pressure is... It is probably low on pressure which will not allow the compressor to engage.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are not familiar with the A/C system and don't have the tools - do exactly what Lowell suggested, you can't go wrong! (go to someone you trust, as always). My local charged $30 to diagnose my leak and then was very happy to have me do that repairs (condensor - lots of labor and PINA)

Almost any A/C place can do what he suggested and it is the first step. If it holds vacuum then you could be lucky. I ended up replacing "most" components on mine but I also intend to keep it 5 more years.

Scott

gtopaul
09-03-2005, 09:22 AM
the pressure switch for the compressor won't allow it to be cut on. Shoot some 134 into it and see what happens. If it's got a leak you'll find out quickly and 134 is cheap.

Paul