PDA

View Full Version : MY 530i got 35mpg today

infinity5
09-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I was driving up from tampa to Gainesville. In the pouring rain, mind you.

Going exactly 60mph with the AC off and the windows up I got a solid 35mpg, AVERAGE for a good portion of my trip. Once i hit he AC and the rain got harder i was getting about 32MPG soild. If i had had a camera i would have taken a picture. RPMs were at ~1850 and speed, like i said, was between 59 and 62. This is an Auto transmission.

if i was behind a truck on a flat strench i could get 38MPG for as long as the road was flat and the truck too the wind.

I'm pretty amazed at german engineering.
My car had about 1/2 a tank of gas and 2 tools kits as well as a computer and several other heavy objects.

Tire pressure at about 32-35PSI i think.

I wonder what kind of milage i could get with new injectors, new coils, new spark plugs, new filters, oil change....

I was worried about having to fill up in gainesville but its not going to be an issue at all. Once i get back to school i can put off driving for another week (which means no filling up) and hopfully the prices will have come down a bit by then.

tdgard
09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
All I have to say is WOW.

And not because of the mileage--you drove from Tampa to Gainesville with NO AC???;)

dacoyote
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I was going to ask how far you pushed it

-Charles

infinity5
09-02-2005, 06:45 PM
well it was pouring most of the way so i didn't need AC. when it got a little hot i opened the vents and vented the sunroof, which created a vaccum in the car that sucked in air through the vents and made a nice little blower speed 2 for me, no electricity required :)

infinity5
09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
how far i pushed it? in terms of MPG? i got 40mpg at one point, but that was with the truck, no ac, no rain, and down a gentle decline that lasted a mile or so. It doesn't really count if you're going down hill :)

comming off the interstate ramp with my foot off the gas down a sharp hill i was getting 99mpg, lol.

Alexlind123
09-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I got 13.8mpg today drving up and down hills and stopping frequently for stops signs with the a/c on.

tdgard
09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
so i didn't need AC.
That's crazy talk! I don't think I have turned off my AC since I bought the car many moons ago. 150Kmi later & my blower sounds like **** though.

ryan roopnarine
09-02-2005, 09:08 PM
um, yeah. coils aren't going to do you any good. my all time record for gainesville-orlando i75->turnpike 107mile is 35.1 or so (without drifting, just staying constant) and i have a 4.10 rear end. i keep two toolboxes worth 80lbs in back and it was packed with crap at the time. i think i might get it to 36.5 if i cheat (when i say cheat, i mean check the tires beforehand, less than 3/4 tank, take the crap out, take the tools out). i might try some 5w30 oil for the e34 soon, as im going to put 5w20 or 0w20 in the mommy mobile on sunday.