PDA

View Full Version : Better looking wipers

Jay 535i
09-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Anybody done anything to improve the appearance and/or performance of their windshield wipers?

Interceptor
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Anybody done anything to improve the appearance and/or performance of their windshield wipers?
I don't mind the appearance, but for performance I think stock is better than most cars have - just change the inserts before every winter :)

uscharalph
09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Actually I had an idea for a little touch on the air foil thing on the drivers side. It has a little BMW logo on it. I've been trying to find a small BMW color logo decal to put there, but I haven't found anything that size yet.

Other than that I just either need ro repaint or buy new the parts of my arms which are a little pitted.

SRR2
09-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Improve the performance by putting Rain-X on your windows and not using the wipers. Works for me.

Dan in NZ
09-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I put some back-to-black on my faded wind deflector thing.

liquidtiger720
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
anybody know where to get that air foil thing? P/n.

Dave M
09-02-2005, 06:59 AM
In a jam (drivers side went south in a major storm) in a city without a BMW dealer, I hit up the Audi dealer. They sold me a proper sized, nice looking wiper arm with a wing, complete with insert for $20 Can. They were embarassed about the price, which surprised me as I've heard Audi parts do not come cheap. More than happy to pay it given the circumstances.

I think its great,

Later,

Dave M

DanDombrowski
09-02-2005, 07:05 AM
I repainted the wiper arms on my volvo (all the paint was peeling off) with some simple flat black auto spay paint from wal-mart. They look 100% better now, and haven't peeled a bit. Thats my suggestion for improving the look.

Dan in NZ
09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
I got inserts from BMW, NZD$60 for the pair.... Gas stations sell them for about $8-10. I'm sure the bmw ones are 6x better though.

Jay 535i
09-02-2005, 05:35 PM
If you paint them, do you have to mask of the hinges or anything, or just paint everything?

I tried Rain-X on my other car and didn't like it. The odd time I did need the wipers, they left a haze on the screen. I could be persuaded to try it again if a lot of other people like it.

BTW, I have new OE inserts and really can't complain about the performance. They're terrific, but looking old and tired.

infinity5
09-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Rain-X works.... but I can't see how anyone can not use their wipes with it.

In the city you're going too slow for the rain to blow off and it obstructs the view very badly. Although not as badly as no rainx... but your windscreen is still covered in water.

On the highway it's usually fine unless its raining like it did this afternoon here in florida(real hard), in which case you'd be dead if you didn't use your wipers.

Jay 535i
09-02-2005, 06:47 PM
I also recall Rain-X not being very good in winter -- it doesn't have the same effect on snow and it seems to create more drag on the wipers. It's gonna be cold here soon. :(

Jay 535i
09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
So what's the best way to paint wipers?

DanDombrowski
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
hey sorry man, I havent been around much to respond to your question. Best way to paint them is to remove them from the car. Its actually really easy. Open the hood.
CAREFULLY flip up the plastic cover on the motor end of the wiper arm. I say carefully because its 15 year old plastic and brittle. Undo the nut, lift the arm off. Remove the insert and spray away on a bench of your choice. Lather, rinse, repeat.

uscharalph
09-05-2005, 08:40 PM
hey sorry man, I havent been around much to respond to your question. Best way to paint them is to remove them from the car. Its actually really easy. Open the hood.
CAREFULLY flip up the plastic cover on the motor end of the wiper arm. I say carefully because its 15 year old plastic and brittle. Undo the nut, lift the arm off. Remove the insert and spray away on a bench of your choice. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Yeah I was just checking that out this morning.

Jay 535i
09-05-2005, 09:02 PM
So go ahead and paint all the hinges?

What paint's best?

Is there any trick to getting the inserts in and out? I always bust my knuckles on those bastards.

1995 525i
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
I painted the base of each of the wipers with the same paint I did my shadowline trim. They look great.

Jay 535i
09-06-2005, 11:02 AM
I painted the base of each of the wipers with the same paint I did my shadowline trim. They look great.

Just the wiper arm, then, eh? What about the wipers themselves, which are chipped on my car (by chipped I mean missing paint in places -- not electronic enhancements :))

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Just the wiper arm, then, eh? What about the wipers themselves, which are chipped on my car (by chipped I mean missing paint in places -- not electronic enhancements :))
How can the wipers themselves be paint chipped? They are rubber. It's OK to paint everything that's not rubber.

Jay 535i
09-06-2005, 01:39 PM
How can the wipers themselves be paint chipped? They are rubber. It's OK to paint everything that's not rubber.

The little rubber blade is fine, but the multi-hinged contraption that keeps it stuck to the windshield is not.