PDA

View Full Version : REAL newbie

Joe34
09-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey guys well, I'm what you would call a dumb rookie but here it goes. I own (more like she owns me) anyway she is a 89 525i with 180k well in july the tranny decided to go. and after finding one on Ebay from a 325i, I did not pay much for it ($350) shipped the guy who sold it swore up and down that it was in great condition with only 110k miles on it. Well I still took it to my buddy that repairs BMW trannys for a living (the old tranny was too much to fix) so he looked at this one and said it needed clutch pack in first gear so I got that fixed plus he put teflon plates and fixed the major problem in these trannys (4hp22s) and drilled some hole so that the clutch pack would not get stuck. well he did all of this and charged me only $200. I trust him alot. So hes not the issue, the problem was that I did not know that the coolent lines are not a straight fit from a 325 to a 525, I know I should of asked, so now I took it back to him and had him put a new pump in with all the teflon work he did. So after all of this I'm just wondering if there is anything else I need to change so they are a correct fit and here is what I changed so far: shift braket on tranny, rear govenor (525 is a 4 lug drive shaft and 325 is only three), ATF pump and of course torque converter. Well guys any help would be apreciated I'm goint to try this again this Saturday, so if theres anything else please let me know.

Also I know I F@cked up I should have read up on it first. But it was a better deal, a new tranny for $550 plus my mechanic has always garanteed his work.

dacoyote
09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Cannot help you on that...

Good luck and welcome to the club...

-Charles

stx133
09-01-2005, 08:50 PM
dont let a slow start stop you. keep on and enjoy your motoring. sorry to be no help.

Kalevera
09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
What 325 did the trans come out of? Cooler line fittings on the tranny itself should be the same.

best, whit

Joe34
09-02-2005, 06:29 PM
What 325 did the trans come out of? Cooler line fittings on the tranny itself should be the same.

best, whit

It was a 90 325i convertible the problem was that the lines on my car are larger than the holes on the transmission from 3. so my mechanic changed it to fit it.