PDA

View Full Version : Superchaged M5 Vids

1995 525i
09-01-2005, 03:19 PM
http://www.discovery-automotive.com/portal/modules.php?name=Static_Content&id=4

Sounds incredible!

stx133
09-01-2005, 08:32 PM
cant understand why people keep opting for centrifugal thpe Vortex blowers.. the low end torque is always so much less than a propper positive unit, ie: roots or whipple.

Brandon J
09-01-2005, 09:01 PM
cant understand why people keep opting for centrifugal thpe Vortex blowers.. the low end torque is always so much less than a propper positive unit, ie: roots or whipple.
Most likely because of space issues and development issues. Those type of superchargers take up much much more space and they need their own intake manifolds. There is the Rotrex type superchargers with a some low end grunt, but that isn't used. The Vortex is a dependable unit and gives the mid and upper power needed. Also, those types of positive displacement superchargers would need to be mounted on top of the engine and a new hood would be needed. That would be nice though wouldn't it...probably more for a drag car than for a autobahn cruiser. Now a positive displacement superchager for the M50 based engines.....hmmmm nice and tasty.

stx133
09-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I am an engineer and have 'started' the developement work for a supercharger. you can remote mount the whipple charger with an adapter plate from the discharge and pipe to the standard intake manifold. you can even run an air/air intercooler if you want. communication with whipple engineer suggests a 1600 AX for 4.0L to 450HP (round numbers)
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1162
should fit on the RHS of the endine bay with a little encouragement.
will progress over time and see how we go....

emw525E34
09-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Good luck with the Whipple. The way its designed makes alignment of the small pulley to the crank pulley tricky. Older hot-rots uses 2 or 3 inch wide belts for reliability and longevity. I figured inch wide serpentine belt will not last.

Interestingly CLKs and SLKs uses roots type charger that can last and last. BTW, AA tuning uses Rotrex before in their intercooled implementation.

I am not an engineer, just a Telecom Architect.

Brandon J
09-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I am an engineer and have 'started' the developement work for a supercharger. you can remote mount the whipple charger with an adapter plate from the discharge and pipe to the standard intake manifold. you can even run an air/air intercooler if you want. communication with whipple engineer suggests a 1600 AX for 4.0L to 450HP (round numbers)
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1162
should fit on the RHS of the endine bay with a little encouragement.
will progress over time and see how we go....
Nice. That must take a lot of time. Plus, sorting out the fuel and timing is time consuming. What are you doing about controling the fuel and ignition especially with the direct ignition? Are you going to go to coil packs and ditching the stock computer? Fuel requirements? Which whipple charger? pulley size?

Good Luck.

stx133
09-05-2005, 06:50 PM
the charger is most likely going to be the 1600 ax (read previous) i am 'engineering' the system first then going to move on the build. i have seen 'stock' EAT chips for charger applications, may develope a custom if required. stand alone is beyond what i am looking at as i will start at 7 psi. Will probably change the injectors for some bosch performance units and put a rising rate pressure reg on the fuel line, may need a fuel booster pump yet, havent got that far. still dong the numbers on the charger to work out air flows and pulley sizes. have got a stack of mags at home that i need to dig through to put all the numbers together.

M.Wenzel
09-05-2005, 10:09 PM
the charger is most likely going to be the 1600 ax (read previous) i am 'engineering' the system first then going to move on the build. i have seen 'stock' EAT chips for charger applications, may develope a custom if required. stand alone is beyond what i am looking at as i will start at 7 psi. Will probably change the injectors for some bosch performance units and put a rising rate pressure reg on the fuel line, may need a fuel booster pump yet, havent got that far. still dong the numbers on the charger to work out air flows and pulley sizes. have got a stack of mags at home that i need to dig through to put all the numbers together.

god thats hott