PDA

View Full Version : '95 525i Olymipic edition ???

Rigmaster
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Guys,

I recently saw a '95 525i at the salvage sale that (according to the guy who bought it) was a special "Olympic edition"- commemorating the Atlanta Olympics (??). It was green, with nice 5 spoke wheels and some "special" piping on the seats.

Looked like a nice car (except for where it was wrecked), but I've never heard of this special edition. Anyone have anymore info, Specs, production numbers, etc???

Thanks, Bret.

Jason
09-01-2005, 09:45 AM
the guy must have thought he had something really special becuase IIRC he wanted some serious coin for it

billb
09-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Guys,

I recently saw a '95 525i at the salvage sale that (according to the guy who bought it) was a special "Olympic edition"- commemorating the Atlanta Olympics (??). It was green, with nice 5 spoke wheels and some "special" piping on the seats.

Looked like a nice car (except for where it was wrecked), but I've never heard of this special edition. Anyone have anymore info, Specs, production numbers, etc???

Thanks, Bret.

previous post (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5649)

tdgard
09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Guys,

Thanks, Bret.
Don't have any specs, but this could be one of the cars that I put a beer fart in.

Some of these were used as carpool cars during the 96 Olympics. Others were handed to the IOC swinging dicks to drive. I seem to remember 3 series being used as well.

They were used to shuttle certain contractors to and from all the different Olympic venues as a convience. Since the sailing and soccer venues were up to 4 hours away, I would use them to go to those--did not bother intown unless I was going as a spectator and might be drinking (free cab):D .

They probably have suspect motors on them if they were used that way--young kid drivers, new BMW, stop and go traffic--probably not broken in real well.

Lennyz525i
09-01-2005, 12:24 PM
I remember someone emailing me about an olympic edition. He had just picked one up. They're very rare though. Actually, I was watching some documentary about an olypic bicycle and they showed the 96 olympics, mostly E34s were used to follow the pack. I actually also saw an E39, must have been one of the very first over here.

tdgard
09-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I remember someone emailing me about an olympic edition. He had just picked one up. They're very rare though. Actually, I was watching some documentary about an olypic bicycle and they showed the 96 olympics, mostly E34s were used to follow the pack. I actually also saw an E39, must have been one of the very first over here.
That's right--I forgot about that. Also they followed the torch around the country as well. They also supplied motorcycles and mountain bikes.

Now an Olympic BMW motorcycle...

///Mink
06-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Reviving this thread...I found this car on Craigslist, and I'm pretty sure I know who owns it:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/169822420.html

It has a *very* late build date of 11/95. What is the latest manufacture date for the E34? I know there was no '96 model year 5 series.