PDA

View Full Version : should nikasil owners be concerned...

kurt-o
09-01-2005, 09:12 AM
So I heard on the news that in order to speed up production on US gasoline that there will be high sulphur content? Should I stop driving now?

SRR2
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I heard something like that but they were talking about sulfur content in diesel.

Bill R.
09-01-2005, 09:31 AM
articles were higher sulfur levels in diesel and higher evaporation rates in gasoline but other article mentioned higher pollutions levels in gasoline which could mean they are going to let them push through a bunch of high sulfur gas...And it applies to all states, the administration refused to put a ceiling on gas prices though. According to msnbc so far its for the next 2 weeks so I wouldn't be surpised at all if some really poor quality fuels get pushed out in this time period...I filled my vehicles up yesterday and won't have to fill up again for at least 2 weeks if i don't drive any more than needed.

So I heard on the news that in order to speed up production on US gasoline that there will be high sulphur content? Should I stop driving now?

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
geez this could suck! I drive a lot and fill up at least 2x a week...any suggestions besidees not to go beating the piss out of it?

DanDombrowski
09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Does anyone remember those ads that either shell or BP or whomever used to run that said "If a reputable/registered/ASE mechanic says that our fuel caused damage to your car, we will pay for the repair?"

I remember them vaguely and thought to myself "How could a normal brand gas cause harm?" This was long before I had my E34.

Well, I suppose with enough hellraising you could prove that the sulphur caused a problem with the nikasils under regular conditions, but I wonder if they're thinking about their "warranty" as they produce these lower quality fuels over the next few weeks? For example, if it were so bad to cause similar problems in non-BMW cars.

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I dont even want to be in that position, nobody i mean NOBODY takes any responsibility for ANYTHING these days.

Been-Jammin
09-02-2005, 07:16 AM

No Worries!
Higher sulphur was allowed for DIESEL. Regular gas was allowed to tap into "winter gasoline" reserves. The restriction to lower volitility "summer gasoline" was lifted. So far only the following states are affected: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

Here's what I've read:

Nationwide fuel waiver issued to bolster fuel supplies
Emergency fuel waivers issued nationwide Aug 31 - In order to increase the supply of gasoline and minimize potential gasoline supply disruptions caused by Hurricane Katrina, EPA is waiving the requirement to sell "summer gasoline" which contains a lower volatility limit. This action has the effect of allowing early use of wintertime gasoline. EPA is also allowing the use of diesel fuel which exceeds 500 ppm sulfur content. Both waivers are effective immediately and will continue through September 15th of this year and are applicable throughout all 50 states, U.S. territories and the District of Columbia.

REMARKS BY ADMINISTRATOR STEPHEN L. JOHNSON
UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Thank you very much. Today, I am exercising my authority under the Clean Air Act to temporarily waive specific standards for gasoline and diesel fuels to ensure that the Hurricane Katrina natural disaster does not result in serious fuel supply interruptions around the country.
As we are all well aware, we are seeing increasingly serious impacts from the hurricane in a number of fuel markets around the United States. Yesterday afternoon I exercised this authority with respect to four states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. It has become clear that the consequences of the hurricane have become more widespread. So today, I’m sending letters to the governors of the remaining 46 states and territories providing temporary relief from volatility and sulfur standards. This action will result in a needed increase in fuel supply.
These waivers are necessary to ensure that fuel is available throughout the country to address public health issues and emergency vehicle supply needs. Under the Clean Air Act emergency authority, I am making the waivers effective through September 15, 2005. These waivers only apply to volatility standards - the rate at which fuel evaporates - and the amount of sulfur in fuel.
EPA is committed to working with our state and federal partners to address this extraordinary national disaster.
Thank you very much.