PDA

View Full Version : *****Ok guys....It's gotta stop*****

bimmerd00d
09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
This was our problem with Roadfly. This board was created with the idea that we could discuss about E34's, ask questions and expect quick valid answers. This has to stop now. Any threads like the recent ukm5 drama need to be posted in the WAY OFF TOPIC forum. If they are in here, I will either delete them or move them myself. This forum is for E34 advice, tips, pics, questions, or problems ONLY. If you dont like it, leave and try one of these that already have this problem, because this board pretty much sucks recently.

www.dtmpower.net
www.roadfly.org
www.bimmerforums.com

If a thread is posted, and you dont have an answer or comment specifically related to the topic, please don't clog it up with useless comments or anything. I am sorry i did not take care of this sooner, I have been busy and not frequenting the board very much. If i am in the wrong here, please let me know and i will gladly retract this post, however i dont believe i am.

dacoyote
09-01-2005, 09:01 AM
He has got a point, and I know that I am just as guilty as everyone.

Lets get back to the point of the forum... making fun of my car and helping people out.

-Charles

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Your not wrong by any means, it was going to happen eventually with that guy and I was surprized everyone stomached his stuff that long. The final straw was when HE attached a noob about his new car being a piece of crap and not letting off of him, thats when the board policed itself. It might have been carried away a bit but all in all I was impressed with all the support from everyone for the new kid. This board has ran pretty smoothly for about a year since the last "attack" (which was probably me).

uscharalph
09-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Works for me.

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
d00d, you're on the mark. We need to figure out ways to improve the board. To strive to better it, not to take it into the trash like so many other boards. I'm even open to suggestions. I'd even give away t-shirts to help make the board better, but I'm not sure how to manage that! Maybe just randomly provide a Bimmer.info t-shirt to a new contributor. And even to ongoing contributors of course.

I am so into BMW's, now with 5 BMW cars and 2 BMW motorcycles, and also selling them, I'd like to do everything I can to make this a great, great site. Now that I think I have the car sales thing kinda under my belt. I was really working hard to leard the biz, so maybe I can take my head out of the water and get some air since things are going well for me, and work on Bimmer.info and BimmerNut.com a bit!

Any suggestions or help is certainly welcome. I'm off to work and will check back in on the board when I get there....ttyl

bimmerd00d
09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
d00d, you're on the mark. We need to figure out ways to improve the board. To strive to better it, not to take it into the trash like so many other boards. I'm even open to suggestions. I'd even give away t-shirts to help make the board better, but I'm not sure how to manage that! Maybe just randomly provide a Bimmer.info t-shirt to a new contributor. And even to ongoing contributors of course.

I am so into BMW's, now with 5 BMW cars and 2 BMW motorcycles, and also selling them, I'd like to do everything I can to make this a great, great site. Now that I think I have the car sales thing kinda under my belt. I was really working hard to leard the biz, so maybe I can take my head out of the water and get some air since things are going well for me, and work on Bimmer.info and BimmerNut.com a bit!

Any suggestions or help is certainly welcome. I'm off to work and will check back in on the board when I get there....ttyl

selling a bike???? will you take payments??? :D:D:D

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I'll sell my F650GS, and for you d00d, I'd take payments!
The R1150R is staying!

bimmerd00d
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
I'll sell my F650GS, and for you d00d, I'd take payments!
The R1150R is staying!

d00d!!!!!! seriously, with gas prices teh way they are, and the 540 treating me like it has today I need a 2nd mode of transportation.

Mitch90535im
09-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Ed, What would you recommend for the best source for BMW motorcycle info in the net. I'm thinking about purchasing one sometime over the next couple of years. I'm drawn more to the mid to late '70's (which are definetly more in the price range I'm thinking about) and I really like the looks of the more classic era bikes.

What model would you say is the most desirable to enthusist? Most reliable? Easiest to maintain and find parts for, etc? I'm not necessairly interested in raw speed, just something reliable, and fun to ride around on weekends and through the N. GA mountains.

Here's a couple that caught my eye. The K75C is only 20 miles from here.
But the R60 is more of what I had in mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4572000014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4572531700&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Scott C
09-01-2005, 05:33 PM
This was our problem with Roadfly. This board was created with the idea that we could discuss about E34's, ask questions and expect quick valid answers. This has to stop now. Any threads like the recent ukm5 drama need to be posted in the WAY OFF TOPIC forum. If they are in here, I will either delete them or move them myself. This forum is for E34 advice, tips, pics, questions, or problems ONLY. If you dont like it, leave and try one of these that already have this problem, because this board pretty much sucks recently.

www.dtmpower.net
www.roadfly.org
www.bimmerforums.com

If a thread is posted, and you dont have an answer or comment specifically related to the topic, please don't clog it up with useless comments or anything. I am sorry i did not take care of this sooner, I have been busy and not frequenting the board very much. If i am in the wrong here, please let me know and i will gladly retract this post, however i dont believe i am.

Thank YOU!!!!!!!

Scott

Gayle
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM

I am so into BMW's, now with 5 BMW cars and 2 BMW motorcycles, and also selling them, I'd like to do everything I can to make this a great, great site.

Ed, maybe I have the California mentality. Everyone wants to be the last one to move here and shut the door behind them so it doesn't get overrun.

The t-shirt idea scares me. I would be afraid that it would attract a the wrong crowd--people who love getting something free--not those who love e34s. (Yeah I know that this is a bmw board not a e34 board but you can't compare the under 1000 posts in the 5 and 7 sections to the 81,000 posts here. If you want to give away t shirts do it there).

We all LOVE this board. There has been lots of new blood recently. I was kind of worried that us annoying newbies were going to drive the old wise ones (who are really the soul of bimmer.info) off the board with our stupid questions and boundless enthusiasm for things that they react to we "been there done that" but it doesn't seem to be a realistic worry. (We are all stoked for a window sticker. You may have missed the sticker poll won by Paul and his brother Paul. We are gearing up for a virtual car show and are going to have a coronation for Jr and then the rest of us can compete for the other categories suggest by Nick Hay.

If anything you should find a way to reward the gurus of this board (you know who you are) because it is the incredible quality of information they provide that makes people want to be here.

The best suggestion for improving the board I have seen was Genphreaks about a content management tool. it is in the following thead.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13315&highlight=deja

An easier way for the brand new person to find what they are looking for without starting the threads for common problems would be the biggest improvement in my mind.

Most of the things that appeal to me are the things that build a sense of community:

I have thought it would be cool if we had a world map that had a pin & flag for the location of every member. Even more cool would be a chart that shows who has the most posts organized from most to least which would automaticly update. I suppose that would encourage empty posts but it would still be sort of fun to see. Charts that captured things like the car year so we could see how many others are lucky enough to have 1990s. Charts that show how many black cars, white cars, cirrus blue cars, etc. In an ideal world, if someone didn't post for some period of time like six months, their data would get discarded so it is only currently active people.

And from the point of building a sense of community, a blow out like yesterdays is not a bad thing if it only happens once a year or so. To rise together to defend the home turf creates a strong sense of bonding.

The people who actually know some about cars and who have been here a while should say what their needs are as I am sure they are different from mine.

Ed--We so appreciate you hosting this site for us. I HOPE YOU FEEL THE LOVE.

stx133
09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
my apologies.. i have also strayed off topic on occation, being a relative newbie and not fully being on track with the code. will endevor to be on the mark in the future..

Good work though, the forum is a great help and good source of entertainmnet

TheDuke
09-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Finally a sheriff, got back to town. I'm as guilty as everyone else. Who isn't without sin cast the stone, or something like that. I think we all equally guilty for letting the forum get out of hand lately. But please at least leave joke threat... :) About the t-shirts, a lottery would be nice, one winner every week...

mattyb
09-02-2005, 01:19 AM
message recived loud and clear.

Gayle
09-02-2005, 08:16 AM
d00d, you're on the mark. We need to figure out ways to improve the board.
Any suggestions or help is certainly welcome.

Ed

Another thought--the FAQs for this board are lame.

It really should house retired stickys like the new sticky about how to post pictures.

The thread that went by yesterday about what do all the abbreviations would be another to add to FAQ.

"Wanna be nun with a ruler" here would have controls on the board that newbies could not post until they clicked an acceptance box that they had read the "read before posting thread" and that they had made at least one attempt to search the archives.

I am noticing that most people are responding to the "this has got to stop" title of this thread and not your request for suggestions. I would suggest you start a new thread entitled something like "request for suggestions to improve the board".

Maybe I am interpreting your request for suggestions too broadly. Maybe you just want suggestions on how to keep all hell from breaking loose when we are left without adult supervision. :p If that is the case, more moderators. This is a dangerous crowd and cracking the whip is too big a job for the d00d by himself.

Gayle

632 Regal
09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
typo Gayle.

Paul in NZ
09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
one of the strengths of this board is the mix of tech,humour and general discussions related not just to our beloved E34,s.Its obviuos that we are all just as much car nuts as E34 nuts.I beleive that a lot of community feeling comes from the mix of posts on the "main" board.My 2c

Javier
09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
No matter the inconveniences derived from human relations. What ever I don't like, I simply ignore and go on.

The last experience was educating for every one, shown it is free to be courteous, expensive to be rude, any one can pick and pay.

Javier

In response to:

I'd like to do everything I can to make this a great, great site

632 Regal
09-02-2005, 06:02 PM
and if this board didnt have at least some off topic humor it means that we all went to bed.

lol

misfortune
09-02-2005, 08:19 PM
d00d!!!!!! seriously, with gas prices teh way they are, and the 540 treating me like it has today I need a 2nd mode of transportation.
ISNT THIS JUST WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. LOL YO UCANT EVEN OBEY YOUR OWN RULES

sup bimmerd00d? :D

bimmerd00d
09-02-2005, 11:05 PM
ISNT THIS JUST WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. LOL YO UCANT EVEN OBEY YOUR OWN RULES

Haha. Basically the problem i am talking about is flame wars. Stupid arguments going back and forth should not clutter up our main e34 forum. When it gets to the point where a member is just being harassed, something has to be done. I'm really lenient, as are the rest of the moderators here. I am not here to police the forum all the time, but i wouldn't want someone doing that to me, nor would i do that to someone else. I think everyone can agree to that.

Gayle
09-03-2005, 12:19 AM

Who is it that usually comes in about here and says thud, thud, thud.

Is that you Charles?

misfortune
09-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Who is it that usually comes in about here and says thud, thud, thud.

Is that you Charles?
no, I know brandon irl and I'm just giving him a hard time.

SRR2
09-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Another $0.02... Not only does this board have the best content for E34, but this is T-H-E BEST message board software and setup I've ever seen, and I've used my share of web discussion boards. This board is the easiest to read from and post to, it's user-friendly, and the server(s?) is/are consistently fast. You've done a helluva job with it, B.N.E. Not only that, but you're running this with little to no visible means of support. Amazing.

One point of discussion I'd like to throw out there concerns E39 content. I've recently sold my E34 and moved on to an E39 and would like to see content for that, that's of the same high quality as the E34 content. As it works now, it seems that even though the board is technically designated nonspecific 5-series, it defaults to 98+% E34, maybe because of the "Particularly the E34" admonition on the link to the board. Maybe E39 content will grow naturally as more participants acquire E39s, or new members show up with E39. But maybe this would be an opportune time to consider whether it best serves the interest of the community to designate the board as general 5-series, or whether it makes more sense to bite the bullet and break down by model. At least, might I respectfully suggest that the "Particularly E34" designation be dropped?

In any event, thanks for doing a fantastic job.

bimmerd00d
09-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Another $0.02... Not only does this board have the best content for E34, but this is T-H-E BEST message board software and setup I've ever seen, and I've used my share of web discussion boards. This board is the easiest to read from and post to, it's user-friendly, and the server(s?) is/are consistently fast. You've done a helluva job with it, B.N.E. Not only that, but you're running this with little to no visible means of support. Amazing.

One point of discussion I'd like to throw out there concerns E39 content. I've recently sold my E34 and moved on to an E39 and would like to see content for that, that's of the same high quality as the E34 content. As it works now, it seems that even though the board is technically designated nonspecific 5-series, it defaults to 98+% E34, maybe because of the "Particularly the E34" admonition on the link to the board. Maybe E39 content will grow naturally as more participants acquire E39s, or new members show up with E39. But maybe this would be an opportune time to consider whether it best serves the interest of the community to designate the board as general 5-series, or whether it makes more sense to bite the bullet and break down by model. At least, might I respectfully suggest that the "Particularly E34" designation be dropped?

In any event, thanks for doing a fantastic job.

I've migrated to the E39 as well (for the time being at least), and i have yet to see anything started up on this. Best one i've found that i frequent is www.bimmerfest.com 's E39 board.

Gayle
09-05-2005, 02:32 PM
"This has got to stop."

So in a former lifetime I spent six years of my life and $50K+ earning a Ph.D. in psychology only to set it aside for a different career. But I did learn a few really cool things for that investment. My favorite part of that field of study was group dynamics. I love being a part of a group and that is probably why I love this board so much.

Any kind of group goes through 3 stages. There are a lot of jargony terms for it like forming, storming, and norming. Hey guys, you will go through the same stages in forming relationships with women.

In the beginning it is great, you are all excited about getting to know each other. The group (or the girl) is just the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then this weird thing happens. You start to fight. There is a conflict stage. First it was the great gun rumble in July. Last week we were all fighting he who can not be named. I am still seeing some less polite posts. I just did an "ugly out" which I deleted. The few of you who read that are sworn to secrecy. I was thinking "why did I do that? I am really not a drama queen."

I think as a board we are in the storming phase and conflict is bubbling up in our collective consciousness. It is a result of the influx of new blood. The board has to reform into a new group that encompasses the status quo and the old blood and the newbies and their enthusiam, inevitable change and the newbie stupidity and insensitivity. It we are polite and respect each other and our differences and get through the conflict stage, this will become an incredibly strong community. If not, it could be another roadfly splinter experiece. How many relationships break off when the fighting starts? A lot. Let's not let that happen here.

I think the old timers are wondering why am I still here. Whit expressed to me his concern that some of the old timers are getting ready to dump their e34s. "In the past, people who've done so have disappeared: Micah, Gordon, Bruno, George." Please don't let that happen. We newbies are sort of like cannon fodder (I know policitally incorrect and infamatory language. Can't help myself.) but we are expendable. If any of us take our toys and go home, there are 5 more waiting to replace us. But you old timers are irreplaceable assets. How long does it take to build a Bill R., a Winfred, a Peter, a Whit. A long time.

I think the newbies are wondering is this place safe for me. While I joke about being spokeperson for the clueless, I am finding it harder to be confronted with it at every turn. I am afraid to be myself because I may offend someone with my quirky humor and my in your face language. I am going to lick my wounds and keep my mouth shut for a while until I get over it, but I am not going away.

If we recognize that this conflict is normal in groups at this stage it is a lot easier to take. I hope this helps others put it in perspective.

Anyone that calls me Dr. Gayle after this deserves to get their head taken off. Consider yourself warned. (Just kidding). For the time being call me Lurker Gayle.

bahnstormer
09-05-2005, 04:55 PM
will do LG!