PDA

View Full Version : New wheels and tires: suggestions

Al Gray
09-01-2005, 08:26 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my wheels and tires on my 1992 525i with 182,000 miles. I have 15 inch bottle cap rims now with Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

Discount Tire Direct has a sale on wheel and tire combinations that seems to be affordable but I wanted to know if any of you have dealt with them before and what the quality is like of this package.

Here is what I am considering:

1. Wheels - Rage Coda 16X7.5 112/120SM

2. Tires - Falken ZIEX ZE-512 215-55R-16 93V B

The total package including mounting, balancing, wheel installation kit, Valve stems and shipping (free shipping for this deal!) is $766 delivered to my front door.

Please understand that the car will be used as my daily driver and not for sprinting or autocrossing. Also, there is a center cap on the Rage Coda wheel. Will the center cap accommodate a BMW roundel stick-on?

This package seems like a reasonable upgrade for me. But I am willing to listen to any other suggestions out there. I would greatly appreciate your two cents.

Al Gray

brodee
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
That wheel looks pretty good for that price

http://auto.consumershero.com/images/wheels/Rage-Coda.jpg

My only concern is offset. All I found on that wheel was a 40mm offset, with that you would need spacers and longer bolts or studs.

Al Gray
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
That wheel looks pretty good for that price

http://auto.consumershero.com/images/wheels/Rage-Coda.jpg

My only concern is offset. All I found on that wheel was a 40mm offset, with that you would need spacers and longer bolts or studs.

The price included wheel installation kit ($70) to secure 4 wheels. I am thinking about this purchase because it would make my car look a little different.

Qsilver7
09-01-2005, 01:15 PM
40mm wheel offset!! Is that correct? If so...you're up in the 3/z3/x3/x5 wheel offset range which is high.

The 5/6/7/8/Z8 series BMWs use a (medium) wheel offset range which is approximately between 10mm-26mm. If you have to use spacers to mount these wheels...you may end up with a "not" positive experience...which may include lots of wheel shimmy and front end headaches. If the wheels come in the correct wheel offset, then have at it.

Have you checked out sites like:

www.thewheelexchange.com and www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com

They have wheel and tire package specials that may get you in your price range...plus offer wheels that fit your car's wheel hub and offset range. The wheels/tires will come balanced & mounted and with new bolts and BMW stickers right to your front door...all you have to do is remove your old wheels and mount the new ones. :D

Jay 535i
09-01-2005, 01:20 PM
I just got a set of Falken 512s today. So far, so good.

jay335
09-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my wheels and tires on my 1992 525i with 182,000 miles. I have 15 inch bottle cap rims now with Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

Discount Tire Direct has a sale on wheel and tire combinations that seems to be affordable but I wanted to know if any of you have dealt with them before and what the quality is like of this package.

Here is what I am considering:

1. Wheels - Rage Coda 16X7.5 112/120SM

2. Tires - Falken ZIEX ZE-512 215-55R-16 93V B

The total package including mounting, balancing, wheel installation kit, Valve stems and shipping (free shipping for this deal!) is $766 delivered to my front door.

Please understand that the car will be used as my daily driver and not for sprinting or autocrossing. Also, there is a center cap on the Rage Coda wheel. Will the center cap accommodate a BMW roundel stick-on?

This package seems like a reasonable upgrade for me. But I am willing to listen to any other suggestions out there. I would greatly appreciate your two cents.

Al Gray

I actually have a set RD sport 18in.wheels for sale. I can send you pics if interested..