PDA

View Full Version : stock clock to obc conversion

bullyd
09-01-2005, 04:43 AM
in another forum i read this for a 3 series can anyone tell me if this info will work on my 5'r before i create a lot of sparks! thanx in advance

Wiring in your Full OBC, to a car with only a clock:

You will need:-
wire strippers
soldering iron
insulation tape (heat shrink tubing)
bit of wire to run into the engine bay (3m)
Temp sensor
whiote plug
black plug

Right, first of all, you need the black and white plugs that plug into the back of the OBC, you'll find these in any scrapped car with a full obc in it, while you're there nick the temp sensor from the engine bay too.

Basically, The white plug on the full OBC, is your power inputs etc,

The black plug on the other hand covers all the output funcions. ie, temperaure, coolant level, check control, peak speed, distance, limiter, range, mpg etc etc etc. Since the only function we are intersted in is the temperature, we will only be concerend with two wires from the black plug, where as we will need to connect four on the white plug.

WHITE PLUG:

Remove your clock and chop off the connector (not all at once though, because your metal strippers will fuse the 12V and earth wires and blow the fuse) - (cut each wires separatley and keep the plug, coz u might want to put the clock back in at a later date. By now, you'll have three wires: a permanent live (red/yellow stripes), an earth (brown) and a sidelight feed (grey/red stripes). You will also require another wire (an ignition live). To get this simply run a wire from the back of your stereo. You dont have to run one from here, just from anywhere that there is an ignition feed. In other words, a wire that only carries 12V when the ignition is switched on.

Ignore the sidelight feed for the time being and take the three wires:-
1. the perm live (red/yellow stripes)
2. the ignition live (whatever colour wire you have run from the stereo)
3. the earth (brown)

Connect these by soldering to the following wires on the white OBC plug:-
A. the (red/yellow hoops not stripes - (might be slioghtly different on early OBC's))
B. (the red/brown wire)
C. the (brown wire)

1 to A - This permanent 12V feed allows the memory in the clock to keep the correct time and date, so that each time you turn the car on, the clock still reads the correct time.

2 to B - This ignition feed, provides the power to the backlit display, this makes sure that the display only poweres up when the car's ignition is on!!

3 to C - Earth wires - self explanatory really.

BLACK PLUG:-

Run two wires into the engine bay, behind your passenger headlamp, connect these to the temp sensor, make sure that you solder and heat shrink over the joint to make it weather proof (doesnt matter which way because they are resistance wires). fit the temp senosr into the little hole in the brake ducts in the front bumper.
The other end of these wires, run into the centre console area and link to the OBC:-

Connect the afore mentioned wires to the two wires on the black plug (green/black and green/blue)
(again, it doesnt matter which way round).

Now here's where the sidelight feed comes in:-

Connect the sidelight feed (grey/red wire) to the sme colour wire on the black plug - This provides the power to the OBC buttons to light up. Since you only need these buttons to light up at night (or when it's dark) - (a sidelight feed is perfect). Because this means that when it's dark, you put your sidelights on, and when these come on, so do the lights on your OBC buttons - genious!!)

Once you have checked all six joints (3 white, 3 black), are soldered corectly and properly insulated, you have finished the hard work!!!

Plug the two plugs into the back of your OBC, tidy up the wires and then fit the computer back into place.

All done.

mattyb
09-01-2005, 04:50 AM
dont know a thing about it but good luck, electrical **** scares the hell outa me. ive cooked to many stereos in my younger days.

shogun
09-01-2005, 05:12 AM
if you can understand German, go to www.e34.de
and the Schrauberecke and search for that. There are instructions for hours to read. 64 pages as far as I remember.
I am too tired to translate that again -partly-.