PDA

View Full Version : news just showed gas at 6$/gallon in Atlanta!

SharkmanBMW
08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
wow!

DanDombrowski
08-31-2005, 05:17 PM
due to:

I have the only gas to sell so I can charge whatever I want?
Crude oil prices?
RD180 Jet fuel?
Speculation?

All of the above?

SharkmanBMW
08-31-2005, 05:22 PM
In Montreal, it was $1.15/liter yesterday
today it is $1.34

Kalevera
08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
It's only gonna get "worse" as the news keeps rolling in.

I'm expecting riots. I mean -- what are people going to do who don't have the money to PAY for the gas that they *need* to drive their SUVs (with a large payment still due every month) to work?

Gas station attendants were getting killed when it was $2.50/gallon. Today it's $3.10.

Go figure.

best, whit

uscharalph
08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
wow!
No Way!

SharkmanBMW
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
get ready to see the V8 prices fall!
I listed mine today, an hour before I saw the prices jump, I may not get much interest!

Mitch90535im
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Some stations in North GA have run out of gas today and have been telling customers it might be a month or more before normal shipments resume. Scary.

Kalevera
08-31-2005, 06:29 PM
get ready to see the V8 prices fall!
I listed mine today, an hour before I saw the prices jump, I may not get much interest!
End it and wait until the price softens a bit...could take a few weeks or months, who knows at this point.

best, whit

mattyb
08-31-2005, 06:34 PM
in oz it hit $1.40 a litre yesterday in sydney for premium 98 octane. fkfkfkfkfkfkfkfk. filled her up and gave her one last proper flogging, now just have putt about for a while.

DanDombrowski
08-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Its really too bad that motorcycles are too dangerous. By dangerous, I don't mean riding the bike, I mean if I brought one home my girlfriend would beat me to death!

Beez540
08-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Here in Southern Oregon... I passed on the supreme at the Shell Station for $3.29 and paid $3.17 for supreme at the Chevron across the street.

I know Katrina played hell on domestic production, but I call for a severe beat down of Oil company CEOs if they continue to rake in record profits each quarter like they have for the past year and a half.

Karl
08-31-2005, 09:44 PM
And today's trick with the strategic reserve won't do squat.
The reserves are all crude, need to be refined, and the problem is refinery capacity. Refineries have been running so close to capacity there's no margin to absorb a hiccup in production, much less the massive shutdown the storm brought. So those who have some to sell will gouge us for it -- just another form of looting in the aftermath of the storm.

DueyT
08-31-2005, 09:44 PM
...apparently the logic from the petro companies on Katrina is..."if folks are willing to pay 3-6/gal in Louisiana, you should too..." Doesn't wash, but then again...

ryan roopnarine
08-31-2005, 10:02 PM
gasbuddy of atlanta shows a place with $7/gallon as of this evening. perhaps thats just so people won't buy their gas and so they can keep a reserve until they can get a refill.

Kalevera
08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Ryan, I bet there are people who will pay it. There is a local gas station near work that is *consistently* 20 cents higher than any other place in the area (and there are a few others in the vicinity) and consistently has the highest price listing on clevelandgasprices.com. I ALWAYS see people filling up there.

Gas prices are inelastic. People are going to pay it as long as they have the money to do so, because they need to use their cars, and most people in the US are tied to a hefty car payment (so they can't dump the car without losing more money). I predict rioting, more dead gas station attendants, and the such.

This is basic supply and demand, guys. No supply, high demand = huge prices, everywhere, because the commodity known as oil can be transported to other markets.

My understanding of the reason behind the $6 Atlanta gas is that there simply isn't any of the stuff around. If those are the facts, then they confirm what I just asserted about supply and demand. Plus Sonny the Governor Boy is planning on fining all of the price gouging stations, anyway -- not that it'll do anything for the consumer.

Thank urban sprawl. Thank the neighbors with the gaudy Escalades, Navigators, Ford/Dodge/GM trucks for show -- not work, and the hummer crowd. That and the trucking lobby for limiting efficient railroad development.

best, whit

ryan roopnarine
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
My understanding of the reason behind the $6 Atlanta gas is that there simply isn't any of the stuff around.

Plus Sonny the Governor Boy is planning on fining all of the price gouging stations, anyway -- not that it'll do anything for the consumer.

best, whit

they are about to run out of gas in atlanta, apparently, as IIRC there's some pipeline that runs from LA to GA that is responsible for most of that area's gas supply. mr. perdue is grasping at damage control, telling people that the boat supplied gasoline supply will not be interrupted, when it is obious that the waterborne supply couldn't possibly fill the gap in supply. mr perdue is also going to institute price caps.

at any rate, this is why i suggested that this might just be this gas station is pricing its gas so high that no reasonable person would buy it, and so that they could have some reserve after everyone else has run out.

DanDombrowski
09-01-2005, 06:38 AM
I wonder if we'll see a bunch of posts asking how to remove the rear seat, trunk tools, passenger seat, etc. I'm kidding, I know that's overkill, but I'm certainly going to do my part to lighten my car including taking out rear floor mats, trunk mats, the emergency tools I carry around, things like that.

My mother, on the other hand, drives around a moving closet. She puts things in her car if she can't find a place for them in the house. Then, she asks why she only gets 14 mpg and her car is so slow......Gee Ma, mabye its because you have beach chairs, 6 pairs of shoes, a few extra purses, flashlights (that don't work), a bag of dog food, and random other oddities in the car that don't belong.

I really think that things will be changing soon with the way we get around. The bottom line is that many american bring 3,500 lbs of steel, aluminum, iron and rubber with them to work every day, and then just bring it back home. To move that kind of mass back and forth every day simply isn't necessary. It really is a shame that people who would do their part to save gas can't drive small cars for fear of being in an accident with larger cars, trucks, etc. I personally think that we have a lot of excess fuel usage that can be trimmed easily before the impending doom of gas shortages that analyists predict. Of course, I still get to drive MY escalade to work, its everyone else thats going to change, right?

tdgard
09-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Well that is partly true. This all started with a newspaper article yesterday that's headline read something about gas shortages in Atlanta. Further down it did state that we had an eight day supply left. There were also stories about gas not being delivered for two days. What those stories meant was that when the pipeline started back up it would take two days to get here--not that we would be out of gas for two days. The pipeline started up last night--albeit at a reduced rate.

I was too late though. There was a huge e-mail and telephone rumor that went around saying that Atlanta was going to be out of gas until the weekend. What struck me yesterday--as I sat in gridlock from all the gas lines--was all the idiots not only waiting for the twenty cars in front of them to fill up, they were all then filling up dozens of 5 gallon cans. I saw a guy in a minivan with all the seats removed and it was FULL of gas cans. Stupid. Next week they will be able to pour all that $5 gas into their lawnmowers.

I wish that the gov had not locked the prices and allowed this to run its course. I have a bad feeling that the prices will be slower coming down now that he overreacted. I say let those stations charge $6--it's their choice. The station next to my house was $2.79 last night and this morning.

Of course, after the gas futures went over $70 on Monday, I went ahead and topped off my 3/4 full tank for $2.39. :D

they are about to run out of gas in atlanta, apparently, as IIRC there's some pipeline that runs from LA to GA that is responsible for most of that area's gas supply. mr. perdue is grasping at damage control, telling people that the boat supplied gasoline supply will not be interrupted, when it is obious that the waterborne supply couldn't possibly fill the gap in supply. mr perdue is also going to institute price caps.

at any rate, this is why i suggested that this might just be this gas station is pricing its gas so high that no reasonable person would buy it, and so that they could have some reserve after everyone else has run out.

enigma34
09-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I filled up at about $3/gal on peachtree here in Atlanta but i've heard about the price gorging going on!

winfred
09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
$3 a gallon for 93*, i could of sat in line for a half hour and saved a dime a gallon or so across the river in btr

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 08:18 PM
3.39 here...no mercy.

dacoyote
09-01-2005, 08:37 PM
3.39 here...no mercy.

Just dropped 3.29 with my 20c a gallon discount in Cleveland...

-Charles

stx133
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
didnt we all invade Iraq to avoid this price rise.....
Sorry not trying to be political just entertaining.

dacoyote
09-01-2005, 08:47 PM
didnt we all invade Iraq to avoid this price rise.....
Sorry not trying to be political just entertaining.

Gas prices are proof that the war wasn't about oil...

Said that at lunch with the work group last week... couple people didn't find it funny / agree.

-Charles

jnassar
09-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Ryan, I bet there are people who will pay it. There is a local gas station near work that is *consistently* 20 cents higher than any other place in the area (and there are a few others in the vicinity) and consistently has the highest price listing on clevelandgasprices.com. I ALWAYS see people filling up there.

Gas prices are inelastic. People are going to pay it as long as they have the money to do so, because they need to use their cars, and most people in the US are tied to a hefty car payment (so they can't dump the car without losing more money). I predict rioting, more dead gas station attendants, and the such.

This is basic supply and demand, guys. No supply, high demand = huge prices, everywhere, because the commodity known as oil can be transported to other markets.

My understanding of the reason behind the $6 Atlanta gas is that there simply isn't any of the stuff around. If those are the facts, then they confirm what I just asserted about supply and demand. Plus Sonny the Governor Boy is planning on fining all of the price gouging stations, anyway -- not that it'll do anything for the consumer.

Thank urban sprawl. Thank the neighbors with the gaudy Escalades, Navigators, Ford/Dodge/GM trucks for show -- not work, and the hummer crowd. That and the trucking lobby for limiting efficient railroad development.

best, whit

What started the drastic price increases here (Atlanta) was rumor supported/reported by local media that at 7:00 pm on Wed. evening the pumps were going to close and that there would not be any gas for the holiday weekend. This was completely unfounded. There is huge storage capacity in Atlanta and although there may have some spot shortages due to Katrina, Atlanta was in no immediate danger. The catalyst for this rumor was that the two major pipelines that serve Atlanta directly from the gulf were not opperational due to electrical outages from the storm. By the next day the pipelines were running again although only at about 25% capacity.

Gase spiked at near 6 dollars/gal at some stations in the area that evening. Most stations however were at the high 3's to high 4's (the station near my home was at 2.89!). By the next morning, things had settled to around $3 to $3.4. I received about ten emails or phone call at work telling me to fill up on my way home and although I was close to empty I refused to succumb to the histeria (I was feeling preety good about myself the next day :-).

Of course the oil companies have to love it. After the big spikes they have everyone feeling preety good about $3.39 per gallon. I'm filling up a half a tank at a time. I'm sure it'll come down at least some.

Atlanta is a city where a single snowflake causes people to run out and buy two weeks worth of bread and milk when the worst snowstorm in 100 years only closed the city for about two days! Actually what I really think is that this was a secret IQ test perpetrated by the federal government...Atlanta failed.

Regards-Jim