PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

530iBall
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
1) I'm getting a little rust discoloration around the fuel filler door. I was thinking of sanding it down, using a rust inhibitor, and then touching it up. Is that the way to go? Any suggestions on rust products?

2) I changed my plugs and the plugs on the passenger side towards the firewall were pretty oily. The car runs well. I've got over 150 K on her. Your suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

granit_silber
08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
1) I'm getting a little rust discoloration around the fuel filler door. I was thinking of sanding it down, using a rust inhibitor, and then touching it up. Is that the way to go? Any suggestions on rust products?

2) I changed my plugs and the plugs on the passenger side towards the firewall were pretty oily. The car runs well. I've got over 150 K on her. Your suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
I don't have an 8cyl engine, but my bet is that you need to replace the valve cover gaskets.
-ashley

dacoyote
08-31-2005, 11:48 AM

On my car I have been sanding it all the way down to good metal, then repainting. Make sure you new color matches the fade on the car.. or else you get something that looks like mine.

Value Cover Gasket like acyre said. Don't but this semi easy repair off. You can ruin coils, coil boots and the DME running the plugs in oil

-Charles

Kalevera
08-31-2005, 05:40 PM
On #1 -- the rust is probably coming from the inside -- the rear tire kicks junk up into the quarter panel. So, inspect it before attacking it -- there could be no good steel left there.

best, whit