PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed auto...tranny fluid

baileydog
08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I have been going through the archives to get a definitive answer to the changing or adding fluid to a "lifetime" 540i 5-speed auto tranny.

My fluid is "black" and it takes a couple of seconds to engage reverse. there is also a leak in the shifter seal.

I sent an email to Kirt (europetransman@hotmail.com) asking for an opinion on what to do, but he has not got back to me after 5 days.

(1) Do I change the filter and catch the fluid in the pan, put the fluid back in and replace what is lost with new fluid.

(2) Do I change the filter and replace all the fluid (with Esso or Shell of course, I have a green label on the tranny so I think I have to use Esso, LT71141), except what is left in the torque converter.

(3) Do nothing, but top up the fluid with new and replace the leaking seal.

Cheers,

Baileydog

Kalevera
08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Bailey.

The reverse issue could merit a valve body rebuild (plastic check balls....argh) or indicate that it's low on fluid. The ones that I've seen with low fluid usually take a second to engage in drive as well as reverse. And then there's the trans program error, usually intertwined with it all. So my thinking is that the delayed reverse is an indication of a valve body rebuild in the car's immediate future.

On the fluid. I'm the kind of person who'd flush it and be done with it. However....These things are fickle on the fluid level -- so you might want to just catch the old stuff and refill it (tricky to get on the mark if it's been leaking) or replace with new fluid.

There are tons of other things to say....but I have this feeling that you already know them, given that you've read all of the threads.

Good luck!

best, whit

Tiger
08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Top out the fluid now... if the condition is still the same, then call Kirt... never email him...

tim s
08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
he gets that many e-mails he seams to miss some. ieven left messages & never got a return call. he if does not return your call just talk to someone else there. they can get him for you.
http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/
i purchased a rebuilt tranny from him february 04' & it is working beautifully.
tim s.

stx133
08-30-2005, 09:00 PM
have the 5 speed auto in my 450, spoke to my mechanic, an x BMW service tech, and he said changing the trans fluid should be regular (100,000k). I am attempting to get copies of documentation as proof. dont want to get a "I'm sorry, its not my fault you have a siezed box"

baileydog
08-31-2005, 02:55 PM
have the 5 speed auto in my 450, spoke to my mechanic, an x BMW service tech, and he said changing the trans fluid should be regular (100,000k). I am attempting to get copies of documentation as proof. dont want to get a "I'm sorry, its not my fault you have a siezed box"

Thanks Bud....I appreciate the help. It sorta seems like damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Tiger
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
No... it is NOT damned if you do... you just must do it. I changed my fluid at 110,000 miles... and it runs alot better after I do it. And I didn't even use the factory fluid... I used Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. Still running today after over one year.

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
just replace what comes out with the filter change...the valve body issue is something that I would only ask Kirt regarding a fluid change at that point or not. On my 530 he told me just the fluid with the filter, about every 30k. The 540 is the only one with the valve body issue.

uscharalph
08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
No... it is NOT damned if you do... you just must do it. I changed my fluid at 110,000 miles... and it runs alot better after I do it. And I didn't even use the factory fluid... I used Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. Still running today after over one year.
So Tiger, did you just change what came out when you drained the pan and changed the filter @ 110,000 miles?

MBXB
08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Baileydog,

Here's a link to the change procedure:

http://www.e38.org/zf-5hp30-service.html

I'm also using Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. No problem so far.

Ramon

Tiger
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Black crud... very very dirty tranny oil. Disgusting. I drained it to get my valve body rebuilt by Kirt... since it practically drained itself nearly the full capacity... I then put in all new fluid and filter.

I would do multiple drain and refill to dilute as much of old stuff with new since you are not likely to pull out valve body. 3 times will do and third time change the filter.

SharkmanBMW
08-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Baileydog,

Here's a link to the change procedure:

http://www.e38.org/zf-5hp30-service.html

I'm also using Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF. No problem so far.

Ramon

great write up on that link,
what is the $$ difference between the pennzoil Vs. the reccomended fluid?

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
at least $15 a quart US.

MBXB
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
I ordered it online thru Ace Harware, of all places. 12 pack for $33.00
delivered to the closest Ace place.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1394263&cp=&page=1&keywords=pennzoil&searchId=5401407458&y=0&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&x=0&parentPage=search

great write up on that link,
what is the $$ difference between the pennzoil Vs. the reccomended fluid?

Tiger
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Pep Boys has them too. Yep... like $3 a bottle compared to $35 a quart for Shell LA263something...