PDA

View Full Version : unknown 525i problems

Mr_525
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
hello, i am having some trouble with my 1992 525i. on my way home yesterday i was in a spirited mood and was driving somewhat fast, when my engine just shut off! i have since got it started but it runs just awful. i have done the check engine light diagnostic and i just get 1111. also the headgasket has been less than perfect for sometime, and i suspect it may have something to do with it as i found water in the tailpipe while running it today. any help at all would be apprectiated, thanks

ukm5
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
you can find water in the tail pipe any time, not an indication of a head gasket failure at all

however u say its been less than perfect for some time...what does that mean

Mr_525
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
you can find water in the tail pipe any time, not an indication of a head gasket failure at all

however u say its been less than perfect for some time...what does that mean
it has had a steady leak of coolant

ukm5
08-30-2005, 04:47 PM
leaking where? from the cylinder head?

maybe u got a cylinder full of water lol have you checked for wet plugs?

but id start with a compression check if you have had those issues, not to sound like a pratt, but driving it as you say fast while having water leaking from your head was a bit stupid and asking for problems

Mr_525
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM

but id start with a compression check if you have had those issues, not to sound like a pratt, but driving it as you say fast while having water leaking from your head was a bit stupid and asking for problems
i did check all the plugs, as that was my first guess, and the leak is also very slow, and im not exactly sure where its leaking. ive checked all the hoses and lines and the core so my best guess is the head gasket, though there is no steam in the exhaust or water in the oil or vice versa. the leak has been going on for a little over three months and i have been planning on changing the head gasket anyhow. also i have been to a number of sites with bmw engine fault codes and i cannot find what 1111 means. if anyone knows i would appreciate the help. thanks

Gayle
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM

UKM5--you always sound like a pratt (not that we americans know what pratt means) but it is ok. You seem to know your cars and have useful things to say so your crabbiness is worth sucking up to get the pearls you throw us. I very clearly hear in you posts that you don't want to come off badly and you are working on your bedside manner. That is appreciated. However, since you are not quite there yet, I would like to know your first name. It is easier to take dissing from someone who has a name. ;)

ukm5
08-30-2005, 10:25 PM
im just telling it like it is, who revs the arse of their car when they suspect the head gaskets going!!! i mean come on

im called Darren, and not the american daron or daren or darran!!

Gayle
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Got it Darren, Darren with 2 rr and one e and one n. I appreciate knowing your name.

Darren Were you ever young? Did you always know better?

After someone has done something they wish they had not, do they really need to be told they behaved stupidly? Does it help them for you to call it like it is? Does it help you to call it like it is?

Maybe it is a lemon and maybe it is an incredibly lucky deal. Maybe it is an incredible learning experience for BM Boy. This board is all about encouragement. The average person on the street would equate that price with lemon. This is not the home of average people. Who ever said we don't have enough info to decide if it is a lemon was right. It would be nice if you didn't have to entrench and if you could say maybe you were wrong or reserve judgment until we start hearing what its problems are. We would think more of you for not entrenching, not less.

One of the things I appreciate about this board is it gives me a chance to laugh at myself and not be defensive when when I say something stupid (which is now down to only every other day). It gives me a chance to see how guys handle challenges. You guys are wired differently than us girls. I learn way about way more than just cars here.

You clearly know more than enough about cars. You have impressed us all with your knowledge. Maybe you could try to impress us with your graciousness. There are lots of people here who do that well. I have told Whit, if I ever want to work on being more respectful (and I need to but am not in the mood) Whit would be my role model.

I value you your participation here. Please keep posting. Please remember that some of our members have just gotten their drivers licenses. Your gruffness can be crushing to those who are still too young to have developed self confidence. Your opinion weighs 10# and theirs weighs 2#. No need to crush joy. I hope I have not crushed your joy at participating with this message. I look forward to your continued participation. And TIA for considering what I have said. If there is any way I can be supportive, I will.

And congrats about finding out about you wheels. Very interesting.

Gayle

ukm5
08-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Gayle, regards BM boys post - i stated the car was a lemon based upon my experience and all i get is abuse and suggestion that it can be polished up, however please read his previous posts for confirmation of my answer: these are things that are wrong, asside from the damaged panels and awfull tyres:
instrument cluster playing up
gunk in fuel tank
brake warning indicators
doesnt acceleorate correcly, feels under powered
power steering makes a wiring noise

You dont get E34s in this country for 350 quid in good condition(i could have said it was a lemon without even seeing it, just by knowing what he paid)
the car is a pile of junk, which is my opinion and that im sure of many others, he asked for my opinion, i gave it and im called an ass for it

Gayle
08-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Gayle, regards BM boys post - i stated the car was a lemon based upon my experience and all i get is abuse and suggestion that it can be polished up, however please read his previous posts for confirmation of my answer: these are things that are wrong, asside from the damaged panels and awfull tyres:
instrument cluster playing up
gunk in fuel tank
brake warning indicators
doesnt acceleorate correcly, feels under powered
power steering makes a wiring noise

You dont get E34s in this country for 350 quid in good condition(i could have said it was a lemon without even seeing it, just by knowing what he paid)
the car is a pile of junk, which is my opinion and that im sure of many others, he asked for my opinion, i gave it and im called an ass for it

Darren,

I am sorry you read what I said as abuse and calling you an ass. I think neither of these.

I am guessing you are not married. There is the classic "honey does this dress make me look fat?" If you take that question literally, and give an honest answer, there's a lot of fun things that won't be happening in your life at least not very often. What a woman means by that is "Please reasure me I don't look like a fat pig in this dress." When people show pics of their new cars and say what do you think they are not inviting you to tell them they just bought a pile of ****. They are saying "please appreciate my choice and reassure me I haven't done something totally stupid".

His list of problems wouldn't scare most people here. Who here buys an e34 that everything works? The common wisdom on this board is to buy the best body you can and fix the mechanicals and you do the work yourself.

I don't mean any of this as attacking you. You do get a lot of grief from people on this board because what you consider to be just honest, they consider to be mean spirited. I personally have been glad you have not taken your marbles and gone home. I admire your willingness to hang in there when it does seem like people are calling you an ass. I truly believe you don't mean to be mean, just honest. Maybe before you give one of your honest answers you could consider whether the question they ask is really the question they are asking.

Thanks for permitting the dialogue. Some would think this should have been handled in private messages. I chose to do this openly as I think it is a discussion about the norms on this board and the parameters of behavior the people expect on this board. There are many new people. They don't know what to think about some of the exchanges that occur and it makes them afraid to post. I was afraid every time I posted for about the first 2 months. Afraid that I would be openly humiliated as a fool. Now you can't shut me up. I hope I have not embarrassed you. You seem like a thick skinned guy who can handle it. Feel free to tell me "who died and made you queen of etiquitte"? Again, thanks for the dialogue.

And apologies for another thread hijack. Would someone please lecture me to cut this out.

Gayle

Interceptor
08-31-2005, 01:44 AM
im just telling it like it is, who revs the arse of their car when they suspect the head gaskets going!!! i mean come on

im called Darren, and not the american daron or daren or darran!! I've lived in London for a year, and I must admit - most of the britts are pricks. :) But, it's something we all got used to, so I don't mind. I usually find it funny and entertaining. :)

Cheers.

zygoteer
08-31-2005, 05:42 AM
I have variously lived in FL for over a year, LA for 7 months, DC for 11 months, plus other places in US, and I must admit - most of the yanks are dipsticks. But, it's something I will never get used to, as I expect people to be sane and reasonable. I usually found it depressing that this is the nation controlling a major economic & military force on this planet. :(

... I agree that the above statement (regardless of its truth) is misplaced here, but its here to put into perspective and 'intercept' that from a "Big, Big Time Poster" who ought to know better than bring in nationalistic prejudices into a 'discussion'.

bullyd
08-31-2005, 06:13 AM
I have variously lived in FL for over a year, LA for 7 months, DC for 11 months, plus other places in US, and I must admit - most of the yanks are dipsticks. But, it's something I will never get used to, as I expect people to be sane and reasonable. I usually found it depressing that this is the nation controlling a major economic & military force on this planet. :(

... I agree that the above statement (regardless of its truth) is misplaced here, but its here to put into perspective and 'intercept' that from a "Big, Big Time Poster" who ought to know better than bring in nationalistic prejudices into a 'discussion'.
well put!

Gayle
08-31-2005, 07:05 AM

I need an explanation of what it means to be a "dipstick". could you give me a synomyn? :) That is outside my vocab of slang.

Maybe there are cultural issues with language going on here. I live in CA and specifically San Diego. We joke that if the killer bees ever get here, they will mellow out and be like "hey dude, how bout those padres". It takes people a couple of years to mellow out when they move here from the east coast especially from new york or jersey. We just roll our eyes at their rudeness and pushyness until they start to adjust. And we are some of the most aggressive people in the country but cover it was a superficial friendliness and laid back air of civility.

Darren--If you were aussie, I would say, oh just another wicked aussie sense of humor. It didn't occur to me it might be the brit way, Spent a week in London in 2000. I found everyone to be extremely civil and polite. I felt like the crass yank around them. Is it a regional thing like is was describing in the us between California and New Jersey.

I was just thinking we could have continental positions of authority. I think Jeff has already claimed the grand ******* of the board but we could demote him to only ******* of the US. I might suggest Pundit for down under (no disrespect intended--just respect for your SHARP verbal skills- and if you doubt me just remember eon peon). Darren we can make you ******* in charge of the continent. Whatdaja think? Then when people give you a hard time you could just say, hey it is my job. You could every put it in your tagline. Chief ******* for the European Continent. Then the newbies wouldn't be so crushed by your honesty. :D

rickm
08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Talk about a thread derailment. Let's put this back on the right track (shocking, I know).

How much coolant are you losing? When you say the head gasket is less than perfect, are you having other issues due to this?

Some water at your tailpipe is ok.

Here is a list of codes:
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/MotronicFaultCodes.html#Displaying%20Fault%20Codes %20for%20Motronic%201.1

Get it looked at before you trash it m8. :)

brodee
08-31-2005, 07:54 AM
If the car just "shut off" without anything else like over heating, sputtering, etc. I would guess that it has nothing to do with your faulty head gasket. Maybe Bill or one of the other mechanics on here can assist you with it, but I'm guessing they are going to need a little more information.

ukm5
08-31-2005, 09:31 AM
if u think a car in the condition his is with the problems his has (based upon his posts) is not a pile of **** then ive lost interest in talking to you

Mr_525
08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
If the car just "shut off" without anything else like over heating, sputtering, etc. I would guess that it has nothing to do with your faulty head gasket. Maybe Bill or one of the other mechanics on here can assist you with it, but I'm guessing they are going to need a little more information.
the amount of coolant lost is like 2 lines every 60 miles. also i was goin 85 when it shut off so i couldnt hear a sputter or anything, there was kinda a hissing/sizzling sound towards the back of the engine. when i got it started the day after it acted like it was flooded. when it runs its really rough, but none of the plugs are wet.

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
kinda sounds like an intermittant electrical issue, have you checked the fusable link yet?

Mr_525
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
kinda sounds like an intermittant electrical issue, have you checked the fusable link yet?
no i havent, that is under the rear seat right?

TheGeak
08-31-2005, 06:51 PM
If your battery is under the back seat (i forget the details of your car, year and motor and such) then yes, it will be just infront of the battery along the door side. There's a great picture on www.bmwe34.net if you haven't checked it out already!

mattyb
09-01-2005, 05:09 AM
crikeys woman. whats this sheila attacking us for. i be blown like a bloody blow fly. i tell ya mate stone the bloody crows when it comes to wicked humour, that jokers got no flamin flies on us luv. betta sort em with a dogs eye and dead horse in the leadfred. bugga me if some one aint havin a barry crocker and needs bit o joy in the dogs boat. this cobbers horse has lost is pegs and them tanks r takin tha piss of the limeys. maaaaate i tell ya

mattyb
09-01-2005, 05:10 AM
sorry OT. for gayles amusement from bored aussie

brodee
09-01-2005, 07:50 AM
crikeys woman. whats this sheila attacking us for. i be blown like a bloody blow fly. i tell ya mate stone the bloody crows when it comes to wicked humour, that jokers got no flamin flies on us luv. betta sort em with a dogs eye and dead horse in the leadfred. bugga me if some one aint havin a barry crocker and needs bit o joy in the dogs boat. this cobbers horse has lost is pegs and them tanks r takin tha piss of the limeys. maaaaate i tell ya

I tried to translate this in babblefish but couldn't find the "Australian to English" option :D