PDA

View Full Version : Tensioner Pulleys - E34 M60 Engine

nhall22
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I have two serpentine belts on my 1995 530i E34 M60 engine and therefore I have two tensioner pulley arrangements. I have two problems/questions with the tensioner pulleys.

One, Bentley says that I should be able to put a wrench on the nut of the pulley and rotate the tensioner so as to put tension of the bolt. But when I try to do this, the nut comes loose and I can’t apply tension. Does anyone know how to tighten the pulley for this engine?

Two, there is only a limited amount adjustment in the slot of tensioner pulley. When I bang up against the maximum amount of adjustment the belt is still pretty loose. The car will run fine but I hear it slipping once in a while. Could it be that the spring in the tensioner is bad or is this normal?

632 Regal
08-30-2005, 03:42 PM
your belt could be stretched or the tensioner could be weak, my steering slips on occasion also.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1413&hg=11&fg=18

all you do is max it in the slot and tighten the bolt. Be careful not to tighten it too tight or you *will* strip the threads.

Kalevera
08-30-2005, 05:33 PM
The other thing to note, aside from what Jeff said, is that it's a good idea to loosen the pivot point nuts before adjusting the tensioner. People with M20 and M30 motors, which has a completely different setup but has a more common probability of being messed up, tend to overlook this and cause damage.

The tensioner should be firm at the maximum adjustmetn point.

best, whit