PDA

View Full Version : Pondering going from e28 to e34. Please advise!

RPMS
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Good morning, folks!

My e28 535i has about 350,000 miles on it, and although I still love to drive it, it's bordering on unreliable. During the winter months, things are okay - not having A/C isn't a big liability for half the year, and it doesn't threaten to overheat when the temps are under 90 degrees out. I'd like to have a reliable car for a while so I can stay clean for a few weekends in a row.

My requirements for a car are as follows: Should have a big, torquey engine and a manual transmission, I need four doors, 22-25mpg, great handling characteristics, and reliable A/C for the Texas summer sun. I don't need to freeze meat in the passenger compartment, but I'm tired of having a summer heat rash. All that, and I'd like to stay under $10k.

The e34 540 seems like an ideal choice. I've had an e34 535i before, and although it was a very solid car, it wasn't as much fun to drive as my e28. It seemed more isolated from the driving experience, if you know what I mean. I'm hoping that the 540 would be powerful enough to overcome any possible negative aspects that the added weight would impose.

So what do y'all think? I could buy an e34, or buy another e28 with lower mileage than my current example, or I could get something entirely different. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks,

Scott

qball
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Having owned 2 E28s and an E34 I would have to say that I definitely prefer the E34. I agree with you that the E34 feels a bit more isolated than the E28, but the overall increase in refinement more than makes up for it. I would think that a 540 would be a very good fit for your needs, however, I don't know that you'll be getting 22-25mpg out of it.

callen
08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Scott:

I have a 91 535i and 94 530i. They are two completely different vehicles handling wise due to having Eibach springs and Bilstein sports on 535i versus the disconnected feeling I get in 530 with stock set up. Was the E34 535i you drove standard..if not you'll appreciate performance of manual. Also I did convert my 91 535 to R134 changing compressor (which was locked up) condensor, evap and dryer. All BMW parts and it blows soooo cold. And finally I live in swampy Houston!....

If you can find a lower mileage [less than 200K (-: ] 535i 5spd in 10K range buy it....you'll be very pleased you did. Mines past 250K and running strong.

I am selling wifes 94 530i 5spd though if your interested....

Callen

callen
08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Oh bought 20 MPG around town in 535 and 21 in 530.

mattyb
09-01-2005, 04:46 AM
having owned a 93 540i for two yers now i can honestly say its the most brilliant car ive ever had. if your gonna tromp it it u wont get the mileage u want but be gentle with it and youll be ok. power, there is heaps, never short of it. not ever had a recent beema so cant help u with comparison however i would imagine that if i had the chance i would certainly like to drive the the 6 speed manual for a day to see the differance. 230,000kms not any major probs. cant understand why folks buy anything smaller than the 3.0 in this series. hope tat helps in anyway, good luck!