PDA

View Full Version : At $3.00 a gallon e34 518s are gonna get popular !

Derek A.
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Its time to crank up the throttle stop on my car. Need to get this thing above the 20 mpg mark for city driving !

uscharalph
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Its time to crank up the throttle stop on my car. Need to get this thing above the 20 mpg mark for city driving !
I can't get close to 20 mpg in the city!

Rory525
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
If fuel was $3 a gallon here in the UK Id be having a party ! I would never care what mpg I got either Id drive it like I stole it.

Ours is about $8 a gallon!

Robin-535im
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM
If fuel was $3 a gallon here in the UK Id be having a party ! I would never care what mpg I got either Id drive it like I stole it.

:)

You'd get better mileage if you swapped out the ///M5 insignia for a 525. ///M5's are terrible on gas.

ryan roopnarine
08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
if winfred and others didn't dislike the m40 so much i'd probably be saving my pennies for a 318i e36 4 door (debadged, of course :D ). ....always thought it would be an economical addition.

its gonna be weird when the market for honda crx's explodes and they arent worth 1000$ any more.

Kalevera
08-30-2005, 05:43 PM
if winfred and others didn't dislike the m40 so much i'd probably be saving my pennies for a 318i e36 4 door (debadged, of course :D ). ....always thought it would be an economical addition.

its gonna be weird when the market for honda crx's explodes and they arent worth 1000$ any more.
Ryan -- buy one and count the oil leaks :)

And CRXes....from what I know, they're sought after these days.

best, whit

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-30-2005, 06:42 PM
That's what I paid last night.

As far a a 518. I don't know? sounds a little under powered.

My M20 get @ 20 MPG in the city with the A/C running, so I'll just keep paying up.

rickm
08-30-2005, 07:28 PM
I filled up yesterday around 11:30am, 2.74/gallon. Went to work, asked the hotties if they wanted to borrow my Sam's card to get gas (they did). One person said that gas prices wouldn't move, when I left work at 4pm it was 2.90, today 93 was 2.99. One station I used to go to quit selling gas, he's doing nothing but repairs now. A shame, he had good prices. he's a good wrench though.

I was with one of the aforementioned hotties yesterday filling up her car for her, the guy in the 'burb next to me spent $113.00 to fill up. YIKES. The fill then pay era is over, all of the stations here are making you pay first.

Gayle
08-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Oh Rory please.... There have been lots of posts recently about how in the US we pay for the social programs through other taxes that are rolled into gases prices in other countries. It is not an apples to apples comparison.

We don't want to think we got it so good just cause we don't see the cost of our social programs at the pump like you do. We want to whine about how TERRIBLE it is. It is FRACKING $3 a gal. There are a small number of members of this board who can remember when it was 25cents a gal.

We whine about the cost of our social programs at two other times--on April 15 when we pay our income taxes and the whining season that proceeds the election where we wine about the cost of everything for the six to nine months and get it out of our systems.

winfred
08-30-2005, 07:40 PM
about the only thing i bitch about on the m42/44 (we didn't get the m40 in the states) is the crappy timing rails/tensioner, the one on the 90 318 i got my cousin took a **** and bent valves on every cylinder, personally if a 318 was my aim id get a e30 because they are looking better as they age, the interiors on the cheep/less cared for e36s are falling apart and really looking shitty, most of the disposible e30s have been killed, that and the e30 interior is better and longer lasting, get a nice e30 318 5 speed for about $2k and pump a few hundred into the front of the motor and it's good ta go

Derek A.
08-30-2005, 09:19 PM
For that matter a 325e drinks about as much gas. I agree about the e30 cars. I saw a 325 for sale locally and almost thought about dumping thje e34 for it. Just can't seem to part with the 5 though

winfred
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
i got 23+ on the last tank in my 325is with a healthy flogging, it's been a long time since i did a tank of highway but i think it'd get close to 30, everything i've done to it for performance has upped the mileage

For that matter a 325e drinks about as much gas. I agree about the e30 cars. I saw a 325 for sale locally and almost thought about dumping thje e34 for it. Just can't seem to part with the 5 though

Jean@MtMiguel
08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
i got 23+ on the last tank in my 325is with a healthy flogging, it's been a long time since i did a tank of highway but i think it'd get close to 30, everything i've done to it for performance has upped the mileage
Been getting an average of 20.3 mpg combined city/highway and @ $3.05 Chevron supreme, currently here in San Diego 8:30 PM Aug 30, anybody beats that price yet?

digitaldragon03
08-31-2005, 12:54 AM
Id be lucky to get that on the highway.

bullyd
08-31-2005, 02:40 AM

as you probably all know by now i had a 518i and in that i was putting more fuel in than in my 34! that said its probably a lot to do with the crank bearings being shot in the 34 so i gotta nurse it a bit ;) when i get the 2.5 in i will probably be meeting the pump attendant on a more regular basis :( although i will dare to go above 4k and DRIVE it for the first time! :D cant wait!!!

Paul in NZ
08-31-2005, 05:17 AM
please..the price of gas is only a part of the price of owning a car....at tne end of the week there would be ^&%$# all difference betwwen a 518 and a 540.....It ll get way worse yet...be happy that you are in a car that you love....... imagine fillling up a car you atually hate.......I see the smirks from the micro owners when i hand over my 90 bucks........little do they know :)

paul p (chi-town)
08-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Id be lucky to get that on the highway.
So i was helping a buddy move yesterday. Just a couple of blocks, but in Lincoln Park (hip/happenin hood here in Chi-town) much of it during rush hour. Was hoping(?) to see single digit MPG on the OBC by the time we were done....................just for comedic value.
10.4, close but no cigar, 2 more trips might have done it.
Carla is up to 23 all while helping me werk on my tan.

Pablo’s Garage (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
94 530iT&A ‘Helga’ (for sale :(....almost )
92 325i ‘Rolf’ (blown clutch :rolleyes: )
91 Volvo 745T ‘Thor’ (13psi beater :D)
93 NX2000 ‘Carla’ (she's ALIVE :) )
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now, eh?” Nov 20, 2004

Paul_540i
08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
I was with one of the aforementioned hotties yesterday filling up her car for her, the guy in the 'burb next to me spent $113.00 to fill up. YIKES. The fill then pay era is over, all of the stations here are making you pay first.

LOL... Yeah the "Pay before you pump" phenomenon in the US took me quite by surprise when I was on holiday there driving a rented car. Every petrol station I stopped at in CA, NV and AZ wanted payment before switching on the pump. Of course being from the UK I didn't realise this so was standing there with the nozzle in the car waiting for the pump to come on. After about 5 minutes (and getting annoyed), I noticed the credit card thing on the machine. So put in my Visa card, no worries should work now. Asks for my code - so I enter my PIN code (we have the more secure "chip and PIN" cards in Europe). Of course this fails because it's expecting a ZIP code which I don't have!!

So I finally gave up, put the nozzle back and went in to ask the guy behind the desk how the hell I get some fuel. Ended up having to leave my card, go fill up, then go back in to sign the receipt. Either that or leave enough cash for the fuel and go in afterwards to get the change.

I found that very surprising, considering the much higher fuel cost in the UK where almost every fuel station in the country will let you fill up then pay afterwards. For example, my 840Ci with its 90 litre tank will cost £85 to fill from empty at today's prices - that's roughly $155. Yet they're quite happy to let me fill my car with £85 worth of fuel and trust that I'll go in and pay for it. And almost everyone does - of course you do get the occassional runner but I haven't seen one in progress.

Funnily enough, although the high fuel cost in the UK is annoying, it has a flipside - the value of big engined cars is plummeting because of the associated fuel cost. So you can pick up a 540i for little more than a 525i these days, and probably less than a good diesel!! So as long as you don't do a high mileage the fuel cost will be outweighed by the saving on the car's "true" value, artificially lowered by people's fear of the high fuel cost :D

Paul.

uscharalph
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm actually going to wait till the summer's over till I get an EAT chip (Along with premium fillups). Hopefully prices will fall then like they usually do. They might not this year, though.

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 02:27 PM
3.39 today for premium at both stations, didnt look at the shell or sunoco cause they dont post premium. loks like they got the extra 3s ahead of time...learned from the lack of 2s.

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Sunoco 3.69

Paul_540i
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Hmmm you guys are catching up with us! Funny thing is that because such a small percentage of our fuel was actually due to the cost of the fuel itself (vast majority is tax), our prices are rising but pretty slowly in percentage terms. About a year ago we averaged around £0.80/litre, now it's around £0.95/litre. The cost of the fuel itself has probably near doubled from £0.20/l to £0.35/l whereas the tax has stayed at £0.60/l!

Funnily enough most people here barely mention the continual increases, probably because we're used to it. Rising petrol costs were worse in the 90s when we had the supposedly environmentally-friendly "fuel tax escalator" put in place by successive governments - IIRC they would increase the fuel tax significantly every year, which would add to any increase in the fuel itself, resulting in petrol almost doubling over a period of about 5 years. It was only widespread protests including blockading of refineries leading to widespread fuel shortage and the country grinding to a halt that finally forced a change of plans!

Still... I'm sure no matter what happens petrol will continue to rise whether dictated by oil prices or government policy :D

Matt P
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM

You'd get better mileage if you swapped out the ///M5 insignia for a 525. ///M5's are terrible on gas.

Not really. My M5 Touring gets about 1 MPG better than my 535i (5-speed).

winfred
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
most places around here are not posting prices, that and theres traffic spilling out into the street at every station (the extra couple hundred thousand people intown SUCKS) theres one place with prices posted on my exit, yesterday morning $2.899 this morning $2.999 this evening $3.499, i got fuel to the weekend and hope to find it less and or not wait in line for a ****ing hour to get it

winfred
08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
i haven't driven the e34 in a month due to high fuel prices and the e30 gets a good 5 mpg better, i was going to start driving it this week because prices had come back down $2.539 for 93* on the last tank in the 325, guess i should of gone out and filled up the 535 if nothing else i could of sucked it out and run it in the 325

Not really. My M5 Touring gets about 1 MPG better than my 535i (5-speed).

632 Regal
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
that would suck to have all them extra folks in town, wouldnt even want to imagine it.

remember my post about fuel going to 5 bux? lol...not to far a stretch is it now?

fuel that has more than tripled in less than 2 years is just nuts.

DanDombrowski
08-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Winfred, do you have any tanks in the ground or drums or otherwise at your shop you could fill up with? The volvo shop in Gainesville (ha, I almost said in town, its strange not living there anymore) was located on what used to be a gas station (as many auto shops are) and could store a truckload of gas. That or pump up the bike tires.......

My dad is actually up there right now on one of the Urban Search and Rescue teams (Florida Task Force 1). I asked him how bad the gas was, but he hadn't seen a gas station in days, they're mostly in boats and hoofin it.

winfred
08-31-2005, 09:29 PM
not only do they leak but the slumlord refuses to admit their there for clean up, he built the bloody building and installed the tanks plus his name is scratched into the pad that's over the tanks, we needed to move the dumpster to a different spot because when the truck came and it was raining 20 year old gas would squirt up outta the tanks and everytime the truck would sink a little more as the pavement broke up, that and i can't run over the spot on the yard or the forklift (around 20k#) will start sinking fast. volvo shop?! that wouldn't perhaps be "the v-shop" would it? bill and dave goober supreams, they are over here now, herd the story on how when the shop folded they had to sell their rolex's to survive

Winfred, do you have any tanks in the ground or drums or otherwise at your shop you could fill up with? The volvo shop in Gainesville (ha, I almost said in town, its strange not living there anymore) was located on what used to be a gas station (as many auto shops are) and could store a truckload of gas. That or pump up the bike tires.......

My dad is actually up there right now on one of the Urban Search and Rescue teams (Florida Task Force 1). I asked him how bad the gas was, but he hadn't seen a gas station in days, they're mostly in boats and hoofin it.

DanDombrowski
08-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Winfred, I actually looked at a consulting case once where a factory was built over an old LP tank and no one knew about it (obviously its against code to build on top of one). Anyway, it had a leak that saturated the ground, but no one really noticed because it stayed in the ground. Rained one day, pushed all the LP up out of the ground into the factory and BOOM! - leveled the place. Gasoline vapors have a lower vapor pressure than air, so they float up and out, but you always have a potential for an explosion even if remote.

Thats a negative on the Volvo shop, its called Richard's Import Store owned by Richard and RJ (can't remember last names).

winfred
08-31-2005, 09:45 PM
this **** is so old i don't think it'll flash if you wanted it to, it may be one of the reasons that livingston parish water is so nasty, i got rid of the water heater at the shop because if you heat this stuff it smells like someone took a power dump in the middle of the room

Dan in NZ
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM
I saw a documentary on leaky gas tanks a while back. A guy lived next door to a gas station, and was burning a pile of rubbish... The gas had leaked out in a huge radius, and blew a frickin huge crater out...

Paul in NZ
09-01-2005, 04:52 AM
the best one is this wekends news that some guys stealing some gas couldnt se what they were doing ,and lit up their lighter,had just enough light to see that they were in fact stealing deisel ,just before the remaining gas fumes ignited......