PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Help

hispeedlodrag
08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I just bought an 89 535i 154000 miles with a ZF4HP22 EH. Tranny will not shift in am before engine reaches normal operating temp. Shifts great all day as long as warmed up. Tranny shop did filter fluid change and replaced leaking breather valve but said checks out ok. Fluid level perfect. BMW dealer says replacing valve body does not guarantee fixing, problem is common with model ???. Dealer says solenoids probably not problem since they either work or dont. Suggests living with it. Any ideas...have scoured internet and cant find any help.

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
New random promotional idea I'm doing. Next person to provide this gentleman good advise gets a free t-shirt.

http://www.bimmer.info/shirts/allans.jpg

This went to page three with no help. Well, I'm telling you I'm here to help one way or another !

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
it is normal for the trans to upshift at higher rpms when cold, however it SHOULD upshift.

Your saying that it doesnt upshift at all before it is warm correct?
ie: stays in first gear until warm.

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I see that Ed, wonder how this slipped by me...or any of us for that matter. Probably has something to do with all that excitement about the house with no windows.

uscharalph
09-01-2005, 04:25 PM
I just bought an 89 535i 154000 miles with a ZF4HP22 EH. Tranny will not shift in am before engine reaches normal operating temp. Shifts great all day as long as warmed up. Tranny shop did filter fluid change and replaced leaking breather valve but said checks out ok. Fluid level perfect. BMW dealer says replacing valve body does not guarantee fixing, problem is common with model ???. Dealer says solenoids probably not problem since they either work or dont. Suggests living with it. Any ideas...have scoured internet and cant find any help.
So you were having problems with the tranny before the shop did the filter fluid change etc.?

Kalevera
09-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I wonder how it slipped by ME! I'm fielding all the 4hp questions these days :D

One thing I would do is take it to the dealer and have them put the car on diagnostics. The transmission will effectively shift in sport mode until the car is warmed up: harsh shifting and no overdrive. This is in an effort to get the fluid moving (what they described as "normal"). I havent been able to confirm this yet in my "studies", but I suspect this is only supposed to happen when the outside temp is below something like 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The latest BMW diagnostic computers, both what's available to dealers and independents, have the ability to activate each of the tranny's solenoids and monitor every electrical function in the unit. A quick way to rule out any problems with solenoids is to have them activate and check them. In theory, a non-working solenoid should pop a trans program error. Given that everything "looks" okay...

What's the car's production date? There are two different AEGS (transmission control) software versions that could've made it into an '89: late E7 and E9. The first six months of production (or so) were late E7. Late E7 was the first AEGS to be able to record fault codes (aka - be diagnosable), hence there may be first generation software issues that would make it hard to diagnose -- I run into problems with the E9 in my car all the time and can only imagine the pain that is E7. If the car has late E7, there's a possibility that it could be upgraded to E9 with a simple module swap. The newer software might solve the "problem" entirely. The quick and dirty way to tell is to look at the program select switch in the center console: A/M or S/E/M? S/E/M is late E7. Still, the switch could have been replaced. The definitive answer will be on the trans control module itself (located in the passenger footwell, on the outside wall of the glove box -- remove the kick panel to see it) and post the alphanumeric version code to the forum...I'll tell you what it is.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-01-2005, 06:18 PM
think he can follow that Whit?

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Jeff and Whit, I will send you each a free Bimmer.info t-shirt. Please PM me your shirt size and mailing addy (Jeff I'm sure I have your addy somewhere, but send it anyway along with shirt size please). I am happy to do it as you both are wonderful contributors. Its the least I can do.

And remember, "some time, some where, when you least expect it", I will be watching the board and giving away more t-shirts!

632 Regal
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Ed man, you crack me up!

Kalevera
09-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Ed man, you crack me up!

ditto ;)

imnprsd
09-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Did you clean the gear selector switch under the center console? ....And while you are at it, maybe you should clean the Auto/Manual switch too. Afer all, it sounds like your tranny is stuck in Manual mode until it heats up. Maybe this switch is intermittent??? This is an easy and cheap repair, and you might even get better gas mileage too! Why? If the tranny does not know what gear you want, it sort of gets caught inbetween gears. (...Simple explination.) FYI... When you remove the cover plate to get to the switch, pry it open from the back (towards the engine side) to avoid breaking the plastic real for the shifter dust cover/slider.

Kalevera
09-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Did you clean the gear selector switch under the center console? ....And while you are at it, maybe you should clean the Auto/Manual switch too. Afer all, it sounds like your tranny is stuck in Manual mode until it heats up. Maybe this switch is intermittent??? This is an easy and cheap repair, and you might even get better gas mileage too! Why? If the tranny does not know what gear you want, it sort of gets caught inbetween gears. (...Simple explination.) FYI... When you remove the cover plate to get to the switch, pry it open from the back (towards the engine side) to avoid breaking the plastic real for the shifter dust cover/slider.
If the program or position switches were acting up, the dash display would indicate as much.

best, whit

MTechnik540i
09-04-2005, 08:50 PM

Our's isn't doing this, but it's throwing up a fault on the OBC, it reads: SWAP TRANS 6SPD

:D

uscharalph
09-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Our's isn't doing this, but it's throwing up a fault on the OBC, it reads: SWAP TRANS 6SPD

:D
Wouldn't that be nice!