PDA

View Full Version : Question about "oil pressure low"

bfons
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Guys,

I have an 1990 525i and was driving home. This code came on and the car quickly died out. Based on my findings, it doesnt appear the oil pump went out. My buddy suggested looking at the oil pressure sender.

Has this happened to anybody else? Does the OBC kill the engine if this error comes up?

TIA,

Brian

ukm5
08-29-2005, 06:45 PM
no the obc doesnt kill it, from someone that ran over someones backbox once in an M20 and took the sump off, simultaniously loosing all my oil and getting warnings, i had to kill the engine before i damaged it and coasted to a stop

does the engine restart?

bfons
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
no the obc doesnt kill it, from someone that ran over someones backbox once in an M20 and took the sump off, simultaniously loosing all my oil and getting warnings, i had to kill the engine before i damaged it and coasted to a stop

does the engine restart?

Yea, I restarted her as I was almost home. It came on again and died about a minutue later but this time I coasted as I was on a hill. When I was almost at the house, I popped the clutch and made it home OK. The oil level is full but there was some oil being burnt on the passenger side of the block.

632 Regal
08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Definetly put a guage on it and test it!

bfons
09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Update!

You guys are going to want to smack me. I was working on the coolant system and I found that I didn't put the T-stat back in after testing it. How the heck could I do that???? Anyway...Could running it without the T-stat cause weird problems?

uscharalph
09-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Update!

You guys are going to want to smack me. I was working on the coolant system and I found that I didn't put the T-stat back in after testing it. How the heck could I do that???? Anyway...Could running it without the T-stat cause weird problems?
I'm sure it would. I seem to recall that these thermostats don't just open and close, but divert coolant two different places? Anyway, I'm sure you have it back in by now, right?

bfons
09-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I have let it sit until this weekend. I will be putting it in first thing and go for a drive. I'll let you all know.