PDA

View Full Version : Crack appeared in depo headlights

Reuben Lim
08-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I had a set of depo angel eyes and clear rear tails shipped from the US 5 months ago, was very happy with them, the look and light output, but this morning noticed a hairline crack appear atop the drivers side dim angel eyes, extending from 10 to 1 o'clock. Thought the hood may have been hitting the glass but saw it wasnt, and figured a stone or foreign object would have caused a different kind of crack. Anybody else experienced problems with the depos? Accepted the somewhat poor bulb fitting thingies in the rear clears, had to make adjustments, but a crack just appearing is a real bummer. Anything I can do to stabilize the crack?

liquidtiger720
08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Lamin-x / stoneguard to prevent any more cracks in other lights and to keep water out of that one.

infinity5
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
I got clear corners from an aftermarket source and they cracked A LOT along teh bottom egdes, identically on both left and right turn signals. They aren't touching anything and theres no way an object could have struck them and made those cracks. I'm decided the vibration is cracking them slowly where they contact the lower part of the grill/top fo teh bumper.

Jeff N.
08-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Heat cycling of poor quality plastic?

632 Regal
08-29-2005, 08:16 PM
I can get you a set of them plastic safety covers cheap. too late now for yours tho.

Reuben Lim
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
I can get you a set of them plastic safety covers cheap. too late now for yours tho.
Will try to figure out how to send you a private message. Thanks man! :)

rockyfeller
09-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Same here! Posted my story awhile back Mine happened in the Winter 3 months after I bought em. I was soooo pissed!...Don't think it's a stone because I am careful not to tailgate. It may have been because of some extreme cold weather and the cheap quality of materials on the Depos. Many have had theirs crack, it is a known problem. My crack is just like yours; 10-1 O-clock but is hardly noticable (hairline) and dosen't leak. I sealed the crack with very light silicone anyways and put stoneguards over it (The stick on from BavAuto not the cover type), no problems since.

uscharalph
09-02-2005, 01:25 PM
It seems like DEPO is not a brand to be trusted. Go with Hella.

Reuben Lim
09-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Tough. Was pretty sure a stone didnt do this. Prospective depot buyers beware! Should have gotten the Hellas like Ralph says, they were pricier, thought I could save a few bucks. Can you direct me to a site I can get the stoneguards from, how much are they? Have a friend going to the US this month, perhaps I can ask him to pick it up for me. Btw, won't the stoneguards get cloudy after a while, should I get more than a pair or is one a lifetime thing?

rockyfeller
09-02-2005, 09:37 PM
bavauto.com....they are very good quality....don't worry about clouding. They come in clear or smoke. My car is black so I went with smoke....don't worry they're not dark at all...still let at least 95% light transmission. May sound dumb but I don't regret buying my Depos even with the shoddy materials....Looks-wise it makes the car unique....(boy, I'm a sucker for looks) If quality is of priority the Hella Euros are the way to go.

Reuben Lim
09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Just how I feel, but for me the look is just the bonus, the light output is a big improvement, was going blind with the US stock. Using Osram all weathers for both headlights and fogs, they are ok in the rain. Thanks, will check out the site, cheers!