PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone here use Netzero?

1995 525i
08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
If so how do you like it? I am thinking about their Highspeed 3G service (which I know is still dial up). It is affordable for me. Any feedback?

Thanks,

Michael

rickm
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Some coworkers do, they're pleased. Is basic DSL or something not available in your area? Here it is 24.95/mo or so.

1995 525i
08-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Some coworkers do, they're pleased. Is basic DSL or something not available in your area? Here it is 24.95/mo or so.
High speed cable in my area runs about $35 per month. I don't use the internet enough at home to justify that much. My wife needs it more than I do. I was reading some unkind things about Netzero on www.isprank.com (http://www.isprank.com)

Not sure who to go with. It is like shopping for cell phone carriers. They all suck in some form or fashion.

Tiger
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Verizon is promoting $15 DSL Internet... slower speed but still way better than dial up.

1995 525i
08-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Verizon is promoting $15 DSL Internet... slower speed but still way better than dial up.Thanks for the tip...they don't offer it in my area yet.

bimmerd00d
08-29-2005, 01:11 PM
SBC is $19.95, Verizon is $15 with a 1 yr contract, sounds decent to me if you aren't in the boonies

DanDombrowski
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
steal wireless from the neighbors?

JonE
08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Prior to getting DSL at home I used Netzero high speed and was pleased with it compared to previous dial up service, and it is inexpensive. Don't expect the same speed for down loads or uploads as you would get with basic "surfing".
As stated above, finding an open wireless connection is fairly easy, there are usually one or two others in our own neighborhood. Sometimes while on vacation or business trips, open connections are readily available, too. Of course, you cannot count on this all the time.

rickm
08-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I forgot about leeching off of your neighbors. I do that, the folks next door (moved in, now they've left the US for a few months) have 3mb DSL. My Mac sits on the side of the house that is closest to theirs and picks up their signal. Great way to run Bitorrent and not have the mrs complain. :D

DanDombrowski
08-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I wonder how many suits from the RIAA and MPAA are against people that left their WIFI open and if they'll still be held responsible.

Tiger
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Another idea! Share internet with neighbor if they have cable or high speed DSL... via Wireless... a router at their place... booster at your place... done deal.

Rigmaster
08-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I've been using Netzero for almost 2 years now. As long as you remember that it's DIALUP, the service has been good. I recently had to replace my original modem, and this new one does not want to connect at anything above ~46000bps whereas the old one would almost always connect at 115200bps, quite a noticeable difference in speed.

The software has some glitches in it, but nothing major- for example, lately when I try to connect, it says that the Netzero software has been corrupted and I need to reinstall it....it usually works if I shut down + restart the system. Not sure what the problem is.

We were using the standard $9.95 netzero, but upgraded to HiSpeed several months ago for $14.95. It's a bit faster, and I'd say definitely worth the $$$, but if you're used to DSL or Cable, you will be VERY frustrated by the slow connection speeds....

Bret.

1995 525i
08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I've been using Netzero for almost 2 years now. As long as you remember that it's DIALUP, the service has been good. I recently had to replace my original modem, and this new one does not want to connect at anything above ~46000bps whereas the old one would almost always connect at 115200bps, quite a noticeable difference in speed.

The software has some glitches in it, but nothing major- for example, lately when I try to connect, it says that the Netzero software has been corrupted and I need to reinstall it....it usually works if I shut down + restart the system. Not sure what the problem is.

We were using the standard $9.95 netzero, but upgraded to HiSpeed several months ago for $14.95. It's a bit faster, and I'd say definitely worth the $$$, but if you're used to DSL or Cable, you will be VERY frustrated by the slow connection speeds....

Bret.
Thanks Bret.......