PDA

View Full Version : Is this noise Vanos rattle?

ScottyWM
08-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Started up the E34 this morning for the first time since Thursday. Put it in gear to back out of the garage, give it a little gas, and ... what is that noise?? Even my 13 year old noticed it. Not real loud, other people probably wouldn't even notice it unless I mentioned it. Seems to only make the noise when accelerating, doesn't do it at idle. Doesn't seem to be speed related, the noise frequency doesn't increase with engine speed.

Pull into the work parking lot, pop the hood, give it a little gas... noise seems to come from the front of the engine by the vanos unit. 'Course the water pump is right there too, but it's only 2 years old. And it doesn't sound like the classic water pump squeal.

Haven't got my Bentley's at work, any way to t-shoot the Vanos? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

billb
08-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Started up the E34 this morning for the first time since Thursday. Put it in gear to back out of the garage, give it a little gas, and ... what is that noise?? Even my 13 year old noticed it. Not real loud, other people probably wouldn't even notice it unless I mentioned it. Seems to only make the noise when accelerating, doesn't do it at idle. Doesn't seem to be speed related, the noise frequency doesn't increase with engine speed.

Pull into the work parking lot, pop the hood, give it a little gas... noise seems to come from the front of the engine by the vanos unit. 'Course the water pump is right there too, but it's only 2 years old. And it doesn't sound like the classic water pump squeal.

Haven't got my Bentley's at work, any way to t-shoot the Vanos? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

I can at least give a second set of ears. I just replaced the primary tensioner on the E34 last week, more as PM than anything else. My ears are pretty tuned to the noises of the M50. Let me know, and shoot me directions if you want. I lunch at 11:30.

ScottyWM
08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Sent you email...

ScottyWM
08-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks Bill ! Boy what service - post a problem, get personalized service before the engine even cools.

Looks like the Idler pulley or water pump - smart money is on the pulley. Guess I always overreact - "New Noise = engine falling apart = $$$$"!

billb
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bill ! Boy what service - post a problem, get personalized service before the engine even cools.

Looks like the Idler pulley or water pump - smart money is on the pulley. Guess I always overreact - "New Noise = engine falling apart = $$$$"!

...hope it turns out to be the idler, much less spendy!

Thanks again for the tour!

Bill