PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on driving and the body

SharkmanBMW
08-28-2005, 06:18 PM
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-1751891,00.html

don't miss page 2

Gayle
08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Mattyb--With your 2000km per week, this article was written for you.

Being tall, seat comfort and head room are always an issue for me. Seat comfort was a big reason I got rid of the convertible.

Used to always travel with a towel for lower back support. Felt like the character in Restuarant at the End of the Universe. Guess it is time to resume that habit.

Kalevera
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Gayle, you know -- adjustable lumbar support can be retrofitted into the comfort seat. In the past month that I've had it in my "new" seats, driving comfort has increased dramatically. But then again, just changing out the seats made a world of difference.

best, whit

Anton CH.
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Can e39 sets be retroffited into the e34 easily (i.e., swap in onto the stock rails)? I've found that my back hurts after a whole day of driving in the city.

Kalevera
08-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Anton -- I'm not sure because I haven't done it myself, but the harness connectors are almost guaranteed to be different. Some of the theory on seat operation also appears to have changed between the E34 and later models, so relocating switches and such could be difficult.

My writeup on swapping in a set of memory seats from a '94 740iL is soon to be published and may offer some insight.

best, whit

Gayle
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Gayle, you know -- adjustable lumbar support can be retrofitted into the comfort seat. In the past month that I've had it in my "new" seats, driving comfort has increased dramatically. But then again, just changing out the seats made a world of difference.

best, whit

What is a comfort seat?

winfred
08-28-2005, 07:28 PM
the seats you have right now

What is a comfort seat?

Gayle
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Winfred.

Whit How can I find our more about that retro fit lumbar support?

winfred
08-28-2005, 08:04 PM
find a clapped out 735 seat with lumbar and transplant, i was planning on doing it and a write up about it but now that the 535 has a future home with somebody else screw it

Thanks Winfred.

Whit How can I find our more about that retro fit lumbar support?

Kalevera
08-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Gayle -- the writeup's probably a month away. I'm still trying to track down a steering column so that I can finish and publish it in its entirety. Guy quoted me $350 + $40 shipping for one today...ridiculous

best, whit

Martin in Bellevue
08-28-2005, 08:13 PM
I got the driver's seat with lumbar & heat. It went right in with the existing wiring. The lumbar really makes other seats uncomfortable; too bad the seat isn't a couple inches lower(like a sport seat with leg extension) to keep my head out of the headliner.
A couple harness swaps right to left were needed to make the parts car's passenger seat into a heated driver's seat for Jub.

Paul in NZ
08-29-2005, 04:59 AM
i am 6 3 with a long body and a bad back....my sports seats are the most comfortable seats i have ever had.....they can be hard to get out of....With em right down i still have headroom,i dont need lumbar support.If i dont i dont think anyone would....
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/front%20seat.jpg

emw525E34
08-30-2005, 03:04 AM
So Whit,

E32 powered seats will have the same fitment in E34 ?. How about E38 models ?. Rails and electrical connectors compatible ?. Just curious as 7-series seats might be easier to source in some parts.

uscharalph
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
i am 6 3 with a long body and a bad back....my sports seats are the most comfortable seats i have ever had.....they can be hard to get out of....With em right down i still have headroom,i dont need lumbar support.If i dont i dont think anyone would....
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/front%20seat.jpg
My seats are the most comfortable of all the cars I've had, now that that seat twist is fixed. Man that was hell when it was twisted. I also benefit from my 11 block commute to work, although this cuts down the pleasure of driving a BMW.