PDA

View Full Version : E34 code reading problem

Casebrius
08-28-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an E34 (94 525i) that just died while fleeing Katrina. The tranny seems to just quit. I tried checking codes via the stomp method and it would light once short, once long and continue to do this. Any ideas?

Jay 535i
08-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I have an E34 (94 525i) that just died while fleeing Katrina. The tranny seems to just quit. I tried checking codes via the stomp method and it would light once short, once long and continue to do this. Any ideas?

That means there are no fault codes, I believe.

632 Regal
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
no faults is 1444

check brunos site he has codes and the test procedure.

ryan roopnarine
08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
you'll need to be more specific about "tranny died" if you'd like for us to help you. the one short one long is a nonsense code, ie, your stomp test won't work unless your computer is rebooted, and even then, it may never work, which probably sucks for you. sorry.

Casebrius
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
The car started bucking after driving 3 hrs at 20-30 mph. It then just started revving while in gear like the tranny was totally slipping. It was shut off for about 15 minutes - then driven again. It drove for about 20 minutes, then started shuttering and slipping bad again. The stomp test has worked fine in the past, always got a 1444. I'm not positive, but I think the woman that ownes it said the computer said something about transmission program at one point. I'm wondering if the DME fried or just overheated thus giving the weird stomp code test and also tranny program problems.

632 Regal
08-28-2005, 09:31 PM
did you check the fluid level? Over or underfilled causes havoc with these things.

ryan roopnarine
08-28-2005, 09:40 PM
the computers can randomly give 'nonsense" codes and be working 100%, i know mine did, i know winfred has said some e34s do it no matter what. "nonsensical" is even addressed in the Technical Service cds...not trying to be unkind, but it sounds like the tranny is just dying in an ordinary manner, not the result of overheating or such. i'd check the fluid level, but unfortunately, a 525i that was made in 94 can only be checked by getting under the car with the engine running. hopefully if the car has to go anywhere else, the fluid level is the problem.