PDA

View Full Version : wish me luck....

TheGeak
02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
...i think next weekend will be when the M5 goes under the knife so to speak. I think i'm going to pull the head and see if it is warped. Lets cross our fingers and pray to our bavarian gods that things are all well and good.

On a related note, anyone who is in the Philadelphia area care to come by for a "Pull-Apart-A-Hurting-M5-Engine" party? beer and burgers would be provided ;)

Unregistered
02-27-2004, 02:10 PM
...i think next weekend will be when the M5 goes under the knife so to speak. I think i'm going to pull the head and see if it is warped. Lets cross our fingers and pray to our bavarian gods that things are all well and good.

On a related note, anyone who is in the Philadelphia area care to come by for a "Pull-Apart-A-Hurting-M5-Engine" party? beer and burgers would be provided ;)

I'll help Jason, when ya thinking?

Jon K
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I'll help Jason, when ya thinking?

^^^ That post is me. Also I need to do my Valve Cover gasket, maybe we can do a 2 fer 1

TheGeak
02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm thinkin march 5th / 6th. Its all variable upon if dad lets me park the ride in the garage for an extended period of time. If nothing else, we could easily bang out your VCG i'd wager.

Jon K
02-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm thinkin march 5th / 6th. Its all variable upon if dad lets me park the ride in the garage for an extended period of time. If nothing else, we could easily bang out your VCG i'd wager.

Awesome, I also have a set of Euro Ellipsoids to go in

ryan roopnarine
02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
that the headgasket is breached? have you checked the operation of your engine with a replaced water pump? there are several ways to do so.....

TheGeak
02-27-2004, 02:33 PM
well...there's coolant in my oil, and the car blew white smoke out the tail. I'm 99% sure the waterpump is fouled and needs to be replaced along with a few other things (hoses, belts, fan clutch MAYBE)

Jon K
02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
well...there's coolant in my oil, and the car blew white smoke out the tail. I'm 99% sure the waterpump is fouled and needs to be replaced along with a few other things (hoses, belts, fan clutch MAYBE)

no sense running a car with a potentially undamaged head to "test" it. We'll just take it apart and find out.

TheGeak
02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Jon, i'm replacing the water pump either way. Its at 100k miles (almost) and its about time to replace it anyway. I figure while i'm doing the work, why not overhaul any potential future issues ya know?

Unregistered
02-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Jon, i'm replacing the water pump either way. Its at 100k miles (almost) and its about time to replace it anyway. I figure while i'm doing the work, why not overhaul any potential future issues ya know?

*Remembers my valeo alternator* *shiver*

Wyn
03-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm free on friday, I'm up for dissmantling a beautiful engine.

TheGeak
03-03-2004, 12:52 PM
you live around Philadelphia?

oh duh, didn't realize WHO this was ;)

MarkD
03-03-2004, 01:05 PM

Might as well replace the valve springs and timing chain guides. They wear out between 150 and 200K miles.

Have you subscribed to the yahoogroups E34 M5 list? There is lots of good info there, and almost every member has an E34 M5.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe34m5/

Mark

Wyn
03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
you live around Philadelphia?

oh duh, didn't realize WHO this was ;)

Yep, its me.

and as soon as I logged in it went to the old style came back where it displays every post???

BigD
03-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Good luck man! Mine is currently under the knife. My friend said there's no need for a new crank. He says he's done several E28 and E34 M5s with this problem (mostly E28s) which he also said is very common, and he has a method worked out where he uses the bearing loctite stuff and spot welds the balancer onto the crank before torquing the bolt down. Says it's stronger than new and no one's ever had the problem reoccur. Fingers crossed...

TheGeak
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Mark, i'm waiting for 'acceptance' from the moderator. how long does it take? its been like 3 days now...

BigD
03-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Same here. Guy's probably on vacation or something.

Mark, i'm waiting for 'acceptance' from the moderator. how long does it take? its been like 3 days now...