PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor

method0075
08-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Greetings everyone,
I have spent a great deal of time searching this and other boards in hopes of finding resolution to my 92 535i bmw's problem. Let run down the list and see what you guys think. This is my first Bmw and I've sold all my other cars since then, Now I know why people love BMW's!

Here ya go:
Checked ecu and it is throwing a 1215 code which means it's the MAF sensor, from what I've read after read and using the pedal method to extract the code.

So last night I disassmbled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with some Circuit cleaner. I also checked the connections. put it back together after spraying the intake with carb cleaner.

I'm still having trouble starting the car when the motor is cold. After is finally starts I have to hold the gas to kepp it from dying out. After a few minutes it warms up I drive approx. 1-2 miles down the road and when I slow down to a light or stop for coffee it will either die and the eml light trigger or when I try to restart it after getting coffee will have trouble starting. This is can be dupluicated every morning like clock work. Once the car has warmed and goes through this cycle it will start with no trouble as long as the motor is still warm.

Here is another synptom, If I go to run errands with the wife and she is running in and out of stores and I sit in the car and wait (idle ) sometimes when backing up after sitting there a while the car will die and the dreaded eml light kick on!

Has anyone else had the same problem or can anyone tell me this is common for a MAF sensor. I'm thinking when warm the system runs off a open loop and cold it runs off a closed loop.

HELP

method0075
08-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me what the voltage should read out on a MAF for my 92 525 e34 automatic ? I think it's only 4 wires