PDA

View Full Version : Bit of stuff, top edge of radiator between radiator and front of car

Dan in NZ
08-27-2005, 04:43 AM
A photo would help here I suppose.

In the engine compartment, where the top of the radiator is. Should there be a trim piece covering the gap between the radiator and the sheetmetal? I notice that when the engine is off, but the aux fan is on, air passes through the gap, bypassing the radiator. Surely bmw would have designed it so that all the air goes through the radiator?

I'll post a pic tomorrow...

Paul in NZ
08-27-2005, 05:15 AM
can you see it this pic of a rather dirty engine Dan
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/engine%20right.jpg

genphreak
08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Dan, yes it is a std part, someone lost it from your car. It is a pieces of pinch-weld with a flap. Fitting snug over the fore-most lip on the top of the radiator its flap seals the gap of which u speak... It's hard to see in Paul's pic, far RH side of course - it looks like a piece of the radiator cos its so far away.:) GP

Dan in NZ
08-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. Thanks for the pic Paul, I would draw a circle around it and re-host it... but, effort.

Next time I'm at hte dealer I'll pick one up, I imagine it's a fairly cheap bit of plastic. I doubt it makes much difference, but since the engineers figured that it was worth having there, I'll put it back.

winfred
08-27-2005, 07:55 PM
it's a rubber strip sorta like something you'd nail to the bottom of a door on the house

Dan in NZ
08-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Maybe I could just get a rubber door strip, and nail it to the radiator? ;-)

winfred
08-27-2005, 09:48 PM
depending on the dealer cost that may be a idea sans the nails

Maybe I could just get a rubber door strip, and nail it to the radiator? ;-)