PDA

View Full Version : Need tire advice

Jay 535i
08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm the proud new owner of a set of 17" Style 5 rims (yay -- thanks Bruno!). :)

Two of the rims have nice Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 rubber on them. The other two rims need new rubber.

Any advice at all about these ebay auctions would be appreciated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068016&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068014&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068112&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

joe maniqz
08-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Two of the rims have nice Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 rubber on them. The other two rims need new rubber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068016&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068014&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994068112&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

i would match them with what you have.

Jay 535i
08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
i would match them with what you have.

Wasn't sure how important that was. That's why I'm floatin' it out there.

I would make them match side to side, of course, but fronts would differ from the backs.

Paul in NZ
08-26-2005, 06:32 PM
make em ALL the same

uscharalph
08-26-2005, 06:32 PM

You're buying used tires? I just bought 2 brand new Falken Tires online at www.discounttire.com for $100 shipped including hazard. They were 15" though, but I just could see putting used tires on my car.

Gayle
08-26-2005, 08:44 PM

I have no opinion about the tires, but if you buy ebay, use bidnip. Computered generated sniping. Place you max bid, forget about it, and it bids for you in the last 10 secs. First 5 snipes free. No rants if you lose.

http://www.bidnip.com

tim s
08-26-2005, 09:20 PM
i am extremly happy with my xgt z4's.
tim s.

Jay 535i
08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Cost of one new tire in the size I need: ~CDN$250
Cost of four of the same tire with 70% tread left: ~CDN$250

That's why used tires are appealing to me.

I really appreciate all opinions, but an irrational aversion to scuffed rubber isn't a good enough reason to ignore the bargain of used tires, IMHO. What are your experiences with used tires? I have trouble seeing the harm, but I'm open to being talked in to or out of anything. :)

Tim, how are those tires in snow? I expect to get a dedicated set of snows, but I'm curious what your experience is with the XGTs. Tire Rack's users rate it quite highly for snow traction, which I'm a bit skeptical about.

tim s
08-26-2005, 10:26 PM
i purchased them just after this past winter. i have a set of blizzaks for winter. i have not decided if i will swap them this winter yet. i do know that these tires have not shown near the wear as my previous 2 sets of dunlops.
i have 5000miles on these with very good results in rain & dry.
i am still running 225/60/15's though. my blizzaks are 205/60/15's.
i still can't believe how good this car has been in bad weather.
tim s.

Kalevera
08-27-2005, 12:36 AM
After buying one set of used tires myself and knowing of others who've done the same, I wouldn't do it again.

There are two reasons:

1) Tires, especially high performance ones, wear "into" specific cars. It's quite hard to get them to work on a different car.

2) Regardless of what the seller claims, used tires invariably carry the risk of having been mounted on a car that had suspension issues, resulting in uneven wear, fluttering, flat spots, you name it. Unless I knew that they came off of an E34 with a decent suspension, I wouldn't buy them for my own car.

best, whit

gtopaul
08-27-2005, 07:07 AM
because with that much tread worn off they were taken off for a reason. When the sport tires get about half worn they can make terrible road noise and still appear to have plenty of tread left. You won't be able to tell by the pictures but any kind of scalloping on the inside or outside of the tread will make noise. You should be able to find some reasonably priced tires on Tirerack.com that would make you a lot happier in the long run.

Paul

Jay 535i
08-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Well, it seems that used tires are a gamble. And one I'm willing to take. Bruno says he buys only used tires, which is encouraging. I'll report back on how it goes.

Nothing ventured, you know.

Jay 535i
08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Okay, a day later I am convinced. Used tires = not good.

Back to the drawing board.

dave b
08-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Now I only buy Michelins, as I got nearly 60k out of my last set.

When I had 17's on the car, I had Pirellis, and they were good also.

Michelins are pricey, but when you only have to buy them every 5 years, it's worth it.

I would never touch used tires...

Robert K
08-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I bought a set of four brand new 235/45-ZR17 Bridgestone LS-Z tires off of Ebay about two months ago. At Tirerack, they were about $810 a set before shipping. I bought my whole set for $380, including delivery. The seller ID was "jacksondawson." You might do a search for that user ID and see if he has any more for sale. You could also e-mail him and see. I had no problems with the transaction and the tires are great. They are grand touring tires, so you get a tradeoff between a comfortable touring tire and a straight performance tire. I've liked them a lot since getting them. They seem to be a very good compromise between ride and handling. Also, they replaced a set of Michelin XGTZ4 tires. Loved 'em! Michelins are almost always a good choice.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Brian C.
08-27-2005, 07:34 PM
As a matter of fact, you've been talked about recently too. Well, not exactly YOU (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=87819#poststop), but "your better half" you might say! :p

Brian C.

Tiger
08-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Go with Avon MTech 500... awesome traction and extremely quiet... If you want the all season, get the 550.

Match them or go all new tires.

uscharalph
08-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Okay, a day later I am convinced. Used tires = not good.

Back to the drawing board.
Good thinking!

philbyil
08-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Don't bother with them!
Tread depth means zip.....notice he doesn't give you the production date of the tyre. You are best off buying new...and, of course, it depends on where you live, use of car, style of driving etc. Go to Tire Rack and check out your "profile"....

John in CT
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Tire Rack and Kumho. Dumb name but great inexpensive tires. I'm running 225/60 15 on my 1995 525 and couldn't be happier.

Good luck,

john

Jay 535i
08-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm more confused than ever now.

First off, to those who are suggesting I use the Tire Rack, I've done some research and decided that I'm not really saving any money versus buying retail. Once you factor in S&H, plus taxes and duty for crossing into Canada, it just doesn't seem to make sense.

I talked to Jim at Steelcase Tire in Markham, Ontario. I've dealt with Steelcase Tire before and found them to be extraordinarily friendly, competent, knowledgeable and helpful. I feel good about buying from them, as I have done in the past.

Over the phone, Jim made a passionate and convincing argument for why he doesn't offer Michelin tires. According to him, Japanese tires (particularly, he says, Yokohama and Toyo) are at least as good and a fraction of the cost. I have Toyos on my other car, and although my other car is different as can be from my BMW, I have been happy with those tires -- very nearly as happy as with the previous Michelins. I have always been a fan of Yokohama, though I've never owned any. Ditto Bridgestone, which Jim didn't mention (expensive?).

Basically, Jim's argument was that Michelin relies on its massive marketing campaign to sustain sales and inflated prices while it trails the Japanese competition in actually building good tires.

As an alternative to the XGT Z4, he suggested I try something like these (http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/luxury_sedan/proxes_4.html) or these (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Avid+H4S).

I do not intend to use these cars in the thick of winter, but I do want good ride comfort, low noise, and the ability to handle the occasional light snow that can surprise us in October or May up here in the Great White North. I do also, though, want something that's fun to drive and that encourages spirited driving. That's why I'm leaning towards a high performance all-season tire, although all-season ability isn't really that important.

Incidentally, Tire Rack quotes about US$110 per tires for Jim's suggestions, versus US$190 for the Michelins.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome! :)

rickm
08-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I have Proxes 4 on both my BMW and my wife's Honda. So far we both like them - nice highway tire and ok in the wet. I've not had them in the snow since we don't get too much of that here (and when it does I stay home).

Just avoid used and you'll be ok. :D I have a used tire for my spare, that's about it.

Jay 535i
08-28-2005, 01:35 PM
I have Proxes 4 on both my BMW and my wife's Honda. So far we both like them - nice highway tire and ok in the wet. I've not had them in the snow since we don't get too much of that here (and when it does I stay home).

Just avoid used and you'll be ok. :D I have a used tire for my spare, that's about it.

Thanks for that.

Wet weather traction is important to me. I hate having my blood pressure shoot through the roof every time the road is wet, which is often enough. Also, I plan to buy kickass snow tires, and I would like to avoid using those snow tires as much as possible. In other words, I hope to use my snow tires from November to March -- not October to May. Which means my 'summer' tires must be able to handle the few weeks of wet that bridge the seasons without undue histrionics.

rickm
08-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Some people keep a set of steel rims around for their snows, they're cheap enough.

Check around for mounting costs - my indy mounts tires for $10.00 per, cheaper than the $20.00 per that the tirerack authorized places want.

The Toyo are nice in the wet. We have a huge problem here with standing water on the highways (I think NCDOT designs the roads so water pools in the middle vs running off) and I've only had one close call, that was coming back from a surf trip last September, driving INTO Ivan, and the road had at least 2" of water on it.

dave b
08-28-2005, 11:02 PM
My mechanic also recommends the yoko avids if you don't want to pay the michelin premium.

Your best bet - find a tire you like then stick with it in subsequent purchases. I just happen to like the michelins.

Zeuk in Oz
08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Over the phone, Jim made a passionate and convincing argument for why he doesn't offer Michelin tires. According to him, Japanese tires (particularly, he says, Yokohama and Toyo) are at least as good and a fraction of the cost. I have Toyos on my other car, and although my other car is different as can be from my BMW, I have been happy with those tires -- very nearly as happy as with the previous Michelins. I have always been a fan of Yokohama, though I've never owned any. Ditto Bridgestone, which Jim didn't mention (expensive?).

I must admit that I have tried Toyo and Bridgestone as well as Pirelli tyres (tires) in the past but have had SERIOUS problems with all 3 brands. I have never tried Yokohama. Toyo were a disaster.
I have NEVER regretted buying Michelins - which I have on both my BMW (Pilot MXM) and ML Mercedes (Diamaris).
What Jim said about advertising and hype might be true, but I still think they cannot be surpassed - bloody brilliant in fact !
The problem with a bad choice of tyre is that you can't bail out of them - you have to live with them for months or years. :)
If you spend too much on a Michelin but are happy, all you have wasted is money. :D

SLEX Runner
08-30-2005, 02:10 AM
When buying tires, look for the year the tire was produced. Most tires will be sold discounted because the life and integrity of the rubber is coming close to the end date of its reliability. Performance of tires are best within 5 years from the year of its production date.

The production date is usually engraved (not raised or embossed) as a series of numbers by the lip of the rim of the tire...the last two numbers will state the year: 04, 03, 02, 01, 00, etc. The 2 numbers before the production year will be the week it was produced. Any tire produced in the 90s will have the letter X before the series of numbers...and if you still have them on and value your safety...start planning to buy new ones even if these still appear to have good thread.

Tires have a lifespan too and any tire older than 5 years should be retired.

Gayle
08-30-2005, 08:11 AM
When buying tires, look for the year the tire was produced. Most tires will be sold discounted because the life and integrity of the rubber is coming close to the end date of its reliability. Performance of tires are best within 5 years from the year of its production date.

The production date is usually engraved (not raised or embossed) as a series of numbers by the lip of the rim of the tire...the last two numbers will state the year: 04, 03, 02, 01, 00, etc. The 2 numbers before the production year will be the week it was produced. Any tire produced in the 90s will have the letter X before the series of numbers...and if you still have them on and value your safety...start planning to buy new ones even if these still appear to have good thread.

That is really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Jay 535i
08-30-2005, 03:42 PM

I have a story that will attest to that. I was once driving my 1986 Celica GT-S and I got a flat tire for the first time ever (this was when I was younger). There was a beautiful new-looking full-size spare in the back, so I put it on. Within about a mile, the 'new' spare was torn to shreds. It just disintegrated. I couldn't confirm anything, but I suspect it had been there untouched for ten years or so. Despite looking perfect, it had no integrity at all.

Jay 535i
08-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Okay, I talked to Steelcase Tire again, and here's the lowdown:

Michelin XGT Z4 = CDN$300+ per tire
Toyo Proxes 4 = CDN$220 per tire
Falken ZE-512 = CDN$160 per tire

According to Jim, who sure seems to know his stuff, these three tires are equally good. Obviously, then, I'm inclined towards the Falken.

Any advice would be very helpful. :)

uscharalph
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Okay, I talked to Steelcase Tire again, and here's the lowdown:

Michelin XGT Z4 = CDN$300+ per tire
Toyo Proxes 4 = CDN$220 per tire
Falken ZE-512 = CDN$160 per tire

According to Jim, who sure seems to know his stuff, these three tires are equally good. Obviously, then, I'm inclined towards the Falken.

Any advice would be very helpful. :)
I 've got a set of them on my car. 2 from the PO and 2 purchased at the beginning of July. I'm happy with them and the price is right. I'm sure there ar ebetter tires out there for much more money, but untill I can afford them I'll stick to the Falkens.

uscharalph
08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I 've got a set of them on my car. 2 from the PO and 2 purchased at the beginning of July. I'm happy with them and the price is right. I'm sure there ar ebetter tires out there for much more money, but untill I can afford them I'll stick to the Falkens.
By the way mine worked out to $139.50 USD for 2 mounted, from www.discounttire.com and a local tire shop (For mounting).

Jay 535i
08-30-2005, 06:27 PM
By the way mine worked out to $139.50 USD for 2 mounted, from www.discounttire.com and a local tire shop (For mounting).

That's not the price listed there now. The current price is within $40/tire of what I can get here, which equals the cost of a round trip to the States to buy them and have them fitted. Thanks, though, for the recommendation.