PDA

View Full Version : Power issue with E34

Darkguard
08-26-2005, 10:48 AM
I have a 1989 525i E34. recently i've been having some problems with power loss. at random intervals while im driving the car will lose power (e.g. the gas pedal wont do anything). when this happens all the needles and gauges drop as if the car was turned off. Sometimes it will also reset my clock and other stuff that the computer monitors.

I took it to a BMW mechanic shop and they had it for a week and a half; they couldnt reproduce the symptoms.

I've been told by friends that it could be fuel related (filter or pump) or something going out with the ignition.

Has anyone experienced similar problems

Thanks

632 Regal
08-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Check the fusable link by the battery, look for cracks and other signs of shorting. Also check the grounds.

Darkguard
08-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Im kind of car retarded - do you mean all the wires connected to the battery?

dacoyote
08-26-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Fusible_link.htm

I think in 89 the batteries where up front... if not its under the rear seat, the link is behind the panel on the base of the back seat on the passanger side.

-Charles

uscharalph
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Fusible_link.htm

I think in 89 the batteries where up front... if not its under the rear seat, the link is behind the panel on the base of the back seat on the passanger side.

-Charles
Yup mine is under the back seat on the passenger side. I haven't had any problems with it, but I saw it when I was searching for the connector to possibly connect a keyless entry to (One other project still in the planning stages).

Darkguard
08-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Tested the link, it was fine - the battery (12v) is putting out 13 with car off and 14 while running. could that cause some of the problems im having?

I've had several people tell me the DME(?) could be going out - could the BMW dealership test it? I have a e-mail into them, but havent gotten reponse yet.

guinness
08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I had the same problem right after I bought Wilma, does it feel like you lose everything for a few seconds, then comes right back?

Reuben Lim
08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Had the same problem. Car would just peter out at speed, though engine didnt stall. Turned out there was some junk, like bits of foam-like material in my fuel tank. But only found out after numerous trips to different mechanics who couldnt find out what was happening. Could your fuel pump be shot too?

Darkguard
08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
yes

Darkguard
08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
ok, thanks for the tip

Darkguard
10-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Just wanted give an update.

I finally took my car to the dealership and they found that one of the hoses that ran the coolant was loose and leaking. in addition my coolant sensor was out so i didnt realize that the car would die when it got too hot. they fixed the hose and replaced the sensor and now everything is fine.

thanks

uscharalph
10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Just wanted give an update.

I finally took my car to the dealership and they found that one of the hoses that ran the coolant was loose and leaking. in addition my coolant sensor was out so i didnt realize that the car would die when it got too hot. they fixed the hose and replaced the sensor and now everything is fine.

thanks
Wow! I hope you didn't cause any damage. These cars don't react well to overheating.