PDA

View Full Version : Universal O2 sensors?

motuman
08-26-2005, 10:42 AM
What are you experiences with Universal O2 sensors? The oem sensors for my 540 are about $100 each, but I found a vendor on e-bay that sell Bosch Universals for $35 each (so about a $130 savings on my car). They tell me there is no problem with fit or performance, quoting - " All 4-wire O2 sensors are the same, except wire length and connector type".

I don't know if I am totally comfortable with that statement as the ETK shows a mid-model change on the 540, from a sensor 420mm in length to one 480mm in length for production dates after 3/94. Clearly they are not ALL the same.

While it would be nice to save some money, I don't want to do anything to screw-up my expensive OEM cats (if it throws the mixture off, etc).

Thoughts on Universal O2 sensors?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
with mixed results.

I had some work fine and others,I just gave up and had to replace shortly after.

Be careful with mailorder sensors, I think most of my premature failures were due to mishandling during shipping.

genphreak
08-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Soldering stainless steel wires is hard too. I like those neat OEM connectors that keep out the wet (or in some places the salt)... very very sensible things those. Bare in mind, a lot of M30s need a new ICV, AFM, injectors and an O2 sensor at this age. :) GP

MBXB
08-27-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm using NGK Universals. No problem so far. Soldering is the biggest hurdle. Follow the install intructions on their website. They are fairly easy to get to on a 540.