PDA

View Full Version : which chip?

bullyd
08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
hi all!
incase anyone hasnt read my previous threads im planning to change my M20 2.0 with a M20 2.5, i have been looking at chips recently and was wondering which was the best value for money? the cheapest i have seen is this one on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994352330&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

has any one used it? what did it perform like? has anyone got any suggestions of a good chip i can use with the 2.5 that has been tried and tested?
thanx in advance for your answers/suggestions

uscharalph
08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Eat Chip. Just click on the link at the top of this page. Another month or so and I'm ordering mine.

bullyd
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
i looked at that but it seemed very expensive in comparason? thanx for the quick reply though ralph

Jay 535i
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
What are the expected gains for the 3.5L engine?

uscharalph
08-24-2005, 03:31 PM
i looked at that but it seemed very expensive in comparason? thanx for the quick reply though ralph
You get what you pay for. Do you really want to put a $50 chip in your car? You'd probably buy that one and then buy the EAT chip later.

Jay 535i
08-24-2005, 03:34 PM
My car already has a chip, but I don't know what it is, and it's probably not as good as the EAT chip.

Do I have any additional issues in installing the EAT chip versus someone who's running a stock chip, or can I forget the fact that I already have a chip and proceed as per usual?

I'd really like to know more about these chips. Their website has limited info. Is increasing the redline always a good idea, or does it have drawbacks (like increased wear & tear)?

JonE
08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Higher revs will always increase wear and tear, but, how often are you going to be in those ranges, realistically. Those with manual trannies might like the increased rev limits, those of us with automatics don't get to take advantage of that unless we are converting at some point to manual trannies. With the M30 engine, my EAT made a noticeable difference, kinda like losing all the passengers in the car and running with very little gas in the tank (in other words, it felt very light and responsive, relatively). Mark D doesn't have any numbers to print yet, I don't think he's done any extensive dino charts with many of his chips. The usual increase posted by other big chip manufacturers usually go from about 208 HP stock to about 222-225 chipped. The torque gain is nice too. On the M20 you'll go from a 168 HP stock to about 180 or so chipped usually on the 2.5 liter engine.
I thought the addition was simple, gotta run higher octane gas and worth it. "best bang for the buck" performance increase you can do to those two engines.

MarkD
08-24-2005, 11:05 PM
My car already has a chip, but I don't know what it is, and it's probably not as good as the EAT chip.

Do I have any additional issues in installing the EAT chip versus someone who's running a stock chip, or can I forget the fact that I already have a chip and proceed as per usual?

You can proceed as if you had a stock chip, the procedure is identical.

I'd really like to know more about these chips. Their website has limited info. Is increasing the redline always a good idea, or does it have drawbacks (like increased wear & tear)?

The website will be re-vamped as soon as I have time, (it's actually under construction) and I'll be adding a few dyno charts. Typically you will get a 5 to 8% (peak) increase in torque and hp. One benefit that is not shown on a dyno plot is the increased driveability at part throttle. The dyno only captures WOT (wide open throttle) acceleration, and that's not how you usually drive unless you are on the track.

For auto cars, I suggest the stock rev limit. If ordering the raised rev. limit, don't run it at the increased speeds continuously or there will be more wear. It's mainly for track use to allow later shifting. Please ask any questions via email, I'll make an FAQ page based on the questions I receive.

Mark

Jay 535i
08-25-2005, 12:12 PM
The dyno only captures WOT (wide open throttle) acceleration, and that's not how you usually drive unless you are on the track.

Speak for yourself. :D

I'll be in touch, Mark, when my bank account allows.

uscharalph
08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
So Mark if I were to order a chip from you, you would recommend a chip without raising the rev limits. My automatic shifts way before although I guess I could shift manually.

What benefits would I get on my 1989 (9/88) E34 525i (M20)?

Jay 535i
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
My automatic shifts way before although I guess I could shift manually.

Use the kickdown switch. That's what it's for. :)

uscharalph
08-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Use the kickdown switch. That's what it's for. :)
I use it all the time.

Jay 535i
08-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I use it all the time.

My car revs to the redline with the switch pressed, or very close to it.

uscharalph
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
My car revs to the redline with the switch pressed, or very close to it.
I guess I don't actually use it all the time, with gas prices being what they are. I use it in certain circumstances.

Jay 535i
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I guess I don't actually use it all the time, with gas prices being what they are. I use it in certain circumstances.

Me too. I only use it between starting the car and turning it off. :)