PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly the 535i is hopelessly inadequate

Jason
08-24-2005, 09:37 AM
I had the good fortune of driving a 2005 Ferrari F430 Spyder.... need i say more? I really have a hard time describing how amazing this experience was. I have always wanted to drive a ferrari, any model and this was my first. it more than exceeded my expectations. It had the F1 tranny and I immdiately set it to "race" and before i knew it, i was flying past 80 in 2nd. The sound is unbeleiveable at idle but after 3500 its a whole new world. the shifts are truly lightning fast and the ride was so much more than i expected. you instantly feel the race car lineage but its not harsh. I had to try out the automatic setting and it was disappointing shifting at 3k in every gear. That car is easily the fastest thing i have ever driven, on four wheels or two. Its one thing to see the interior in pics or at a car show, its another thing to be in it. The seats were fantastic, it looks great, the fit and finish are what you would expect. its just unreal. If money is not an object then there is no reason to consider a porsche, even if they can offer similar stats. Its the intangibles...you know.... what makes it so hard to describe this whole amazing experience. And its really funny cause some friends were just commenting on how good the 5er looked, then along came the spyder.

Black 535i
08-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Who would not be next to that car? But alas who also here has that kind of loose change in their pocket? Certainly not me. I beg to differ though but I would choose the 'practicality' of the Carrera 4S here in Chicago over the Ferrari anyday. Having driven the Porsche, I am considering as the next car in a few years. I realize the expenses will be greater than the 535 but at that point I should not care I hope.

I had the good fortune of driving a 2005 Ferrari F430 Spyder.... need i say more? I really have a hard time describing how amazing this experience was. I have always wanted to drive a ferrari, any model and this was my first. it more than exceeded my expectations. It had the F1 tranny and I immdiately set it to "race" and before i knew it, i was flying past 80 in 2nd. The sound is unbeleiveable at idle but after 3500 its a whole new world. the shifts are truly lightning fast and the ride was so much more than i expected. you instantly feel the race car lineage but its not harsh. I had to try out the automatic setting and it was disappointing shifting at 3k in every gear. That car is easily the fastest thing i have ever driven, on four wheels or two. Its one thing to see the interior in pics or at a car show, its another thing to be in it. The seats were fantastic, it looks great, the fit and finish are what you would expect. its just unreal. If money is not an object then there is no reason to consider a porsche, even if they can offer similar stats. Its the intangibles...you know.... what makes it so hard to describe this whole amazing experience. And its really funny cause some friends were just commenting on how good the 5er looked, then along came the spyder.

Jason
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
i still think the porsche is an amazing vehicle and I would love to own one one day as well, but there is just something different about the ferrari. i've driven a 911 (granted it wasnt a turbo) and it was like a big go kart and fun as hell but its not too different from a boxster. if i was able to spend 100k over sticker on a Spyder i would have both, and the porsche would be my winter "beater." thats what i would call an ideal world.

Robin-535im
08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
How was it you came to be driving the Ferrari? Was the owner in the car with you, or did you get to *really* drive it? :)

Jason
08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I jokingly said to the owner something to the effect of "so do i get to take it for a spin?" and he non-chanlantly called my bluff by tossing me the key. I'll admit, i was extremely hesitant at first and recalled a car and driver 10 best story about a guy who wussed out when given the opportunity to drive a lamborghini home and had it flat bedded instead. then i realized i couldn't pass it up and after he said he has 5 more at home the wheels began turning and i thought he wouldnt miss this one very much should anything happen. so so after i backed it out, i instantly set switched to the reace setting on the manettino and once i was out of ear shot, or so i thought at least, i was on that ****. my only other worry was the cops. 80 in 2nd gear in a 40... w/ 4 more left...

mzarifkar
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
my only other worry was the cops. 80 in 2nd gear in a 40... w/ 4 more left...

I dont think the cops would be much of a worry, unless they can bust out a murcielago ;) Awesome expirience! I might be at the wheel of a 645 later this week

zygoteer
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I thought the 360 and the 430 were very good and sound was up to scratch, but the feel/control is too modern as they divorce the driver from the mechanicals and the road surface, I much prefer my 288.
...but I guess I am biased.

bahnstormer
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
e34 > f430 in luggage space =]

JAlfredPrufrock
08-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Ummmm... my E34 has four seats?

Gayle
08-24-2005, 07:42 PM
I jokingly said to the owner something to the effect of "so do i get to take it for a spin?" and he non-chanlantly called my bluff by tossing me the key.

You lucky bastard.

liquidtiger720
08-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Amazing. I fell the sameish way. I've driven my moms 740 for the past week, as mine was inoperable. I jumped back in today, and it feels like I have no power steering, speed of a civic, but handling of a porsche...if you get what I mean.