PDA

View Full Version : Head unit removal

nuwde
08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I have an Alpine aftermarket head unit that was installed back in 1992. I don't remember the model number (not at home). Does anyone know how to take this out? I want to see if I can install an aux input for my iPod. Sorry for the vagueness, but if you have any tips please tell!

Edwin

Kalevera
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Most aftermarket head units use some sort of universal mounting bracket. The head unit would have included a tool or two to remove the thing from the bracket once it was installed. I've had to pull radios a few times to get at various parts of the dash/OBC/you name it; it's not fun or easy without the correct tool, but you could always try a thin flatblade screwdriver. Of the early Alpines I've seen (and I actually installed one of their in dash changers in our 325ic loaner), the surround trim pops off and then there's the universal bracket.

best, whit

best, whit

Anton CH.
08-23-2005, 11:57 PM
I have an Alpine unit, they don't use any tools. You are supposed to use a flat head screw drive to move the clips upward on each side and then it just slides out.

nuwde
08-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try it and tell you how it goes. I hope it's as easy as it sounds.

BTW, it's one of those units that you can push an eject button to pop off the face. Not sure if that's important in taking it out.