PDA

View Full Version : Throttle stuck

Alexlind123
08-23-2005, 06:12 PM
During a test drive of a 1990 535i automatic with 109k miles today, everything was fine except for two things. One, at higher speeds the rear end seemed to "skate" a bit causing the car to be a bit twitchy - undoubtedly becasue of worn out rear subframe bushings. Second, after driving on the freeway and coming back down to city speeds, the throttle seemed to stick. When put in neutral, the revs were around 3000rpm. After the car was put back into drive, the throttle and idle were normal for the rest of the drive. Is this a reason for concern? A common problem?

Alexlind123
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
bump

Jon K
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
During a test drive of a 1990 535i automatic with 109k miles today, everything was fine except for two things. One, at higher speeds the rear end seemed to "skate" a bit causing the car to be a bit twitchy - undoubtedly becasue of worn out rear subframe bushings. Second, after driving on the freeway and coming back down to city speeds, the throttle seemed to stick. When put in neutral, the revs were around 3000rpm. After the car was put back into drive, the throttle and idle were normal for the rest of the drive. Is this a reason for concern? A common problem?

not too sure with the M30 motor, but I know with my car when I first got it I had similar issues. It sounds stupid but check the floor mat. Mine had bunched up and pinned the throttle down just a little bit. If thats not it, check the throttle body cables on the throttle body, if the hoses are not installed or grouped right the ball end on the throttle cable can get pinched and stuck. I also seem to remember a recall or something on some sort of M30 throttle cable clip or something... someone will know.

632 Regal
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
yes, theres a safety clip that holds the cable at the right angle to the cable bracket which would supposibly slip forward and hold the throttle open a small amount.