PDA

View Full Version : Cool electrical tricks?

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 04:36 PM
There seems to be a lot of talk about they guy who allegedly rigged up a garage door signal to his stock switchgear somehow (urban BMW legend?).

And I was thinking today that I would really like a single button that would open or close all four windows + sunroof in one go.

What cool electrical tricks have people pulled off? What's possible, without going crazy?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
But the sysytem will still close them in a series, just as if you did it with the key at the door.

Kalevera
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
I have the info on the remote garage door opener if you want it. Send me a PM with your email address.

A better idea, I think, is to just install a homelink unit, or a rearview with a homelink unit in it (retrofitted or otherwise).

It's been done, and discussed...one can find more than he'll ever want to know with a search :D

best, whit

uscharalph
08-23-2005, 05:31 PM
There seems to be a lot of talk about they guy who allegedly rigged up a garage door signal to his stock switchgear somehow (urban BMW legend?).

And I was thinking today that I would really like a single button that would open or close all four windows + sunroof in one go.

What cool electrical tricks have people pulled off? What's possible, without going crazy?
I don't think you want to put that much strain on the battery to have all five of those going at the same time. Our batteries supposedly take a pretty good beating as it is.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 05:38 PM
that's why the system closes them in a series, to spread out the draw on the battery.

P.S. I think the manual recommends we do all the closing and such while the engine is still on to spare the batttery.

ukm5
08-23-2005, 05:49 PM
if that was the case they wouldnt have added the comfort option to close all open windows and sunroof via the key from the outside

uscharalph
08-23-2005, 05:55 PM
if that was the case they wouldnt have added the comfort option to close all open windows and sunroof via the key from the outside
Yeah , but the comfort option closes them in a series and not all at one time. It's just easier on the battery to close them while the car's still running. With the problems I had today (Other Thread - Battery Problems) I'm going to follow that suggestion.

ukm5
08-23-2005, 06:01 PM
yes but bob says "P.S. I think the manual recommends we do all the closing and such while the engine is still on to spare the batttery." which u cant do when using the comfort option from the outside

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Don't mean you have to do it.

The manual recommends alot of stuff I don't think anybody does.

It also recommends you turn off all the accessories too, so there is less drain on start up.

But I always have the stereo on...

liquidtiger720
08-23-2005, 06:32 PM
What I'd like to know is how to add some mood lights! (orange mood lights...much like the newer models).

ukm5
08-23-2005, 06:36 PM
and i was saying it cant 'RECOMMEND' otherwise the comfort option would contradict this recomendation

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
A guy put orange LEDs in the bottom of the rear view mirror to shine down on the dash.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
We just tear that silly page out.

That way, I won't stay awake at night worrying about how many times I closed the car without the engine on and we can all enjoy the key thing without abandon.

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm not interested in the garage door thing, but the window thing, maybe.

I'd be happy if it just activated the same circuit that's activated when you use the key held in the lock position, closing them in sequence.

...But there's no such thing for opening them in sequence.

I'm sure someone clever could do it, though.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 07:06 PM
closes the windows

I have seen the close trick done on a 7 series.

The guy hacked the Module to a button, so it acted just like the key trick.

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
closes the windows

I have seen the close trick done on a 7 series.

The guy hacked the Module to a button, so it acted just like the key trick.

But could he make them open that way?

If so, I want it. :)

uscharalph
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah I've also heard that a module can be added to asome keyless entry sytems to have it on your remote.

ukm5
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
u dont need to hack the module u just access the drivers door wiring
mine closes all on switching the alarm on, i could easily add a switch

brodee
08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
My e36 cabrio had a one touch button for all four windows. You hit that one button and they all go down, hit it again and they all go up.

What I would really like it so rewire the alarm so that instead of the panic button it rolls the windows up. So if I see it's raining out I can hit that button and put them up without getting wet.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Is in there somewhere.

The airbag will initiate the opening of the windows and unlock doors

ukm5
08-23-2005, 08:10 PM
i know the crash module opens the doors but i dont think it winds down the windows lol

GAM
08-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Is in there somewhere.

The airbag will initiate the opening of the windows and unlock doors

Oh I like this one. Do it all plus set off the airbag. It would be rough on the upper body. Reversing it too would be a trick, i.e., automatically getting the air bag back into it's enclosure.

Bimmerman
08-24-2005, 04:44 AM
What I'd like to know is how to add some mood lights! (orange mood lights...much like the newer models).

I know people have posted and done that mod before, but none have posted pics...! i'd be keen to do it too :)