PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining the paint's shine day-to-day

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Last week my car got the full clay bar, 3-step polish and carnauba treatment. Today it's lost a lost of its glassy shine since then, and it's glassy feel, too.

It hasn't been exposed to rain, but I do keep it in a parking garage which is pretty dusty.

Dusting the car with a terry towel just seems to move the dirt around.

What's the best way to keep my car looking fresh day to day? I don't mind spending a few minutes on it every morning.

Thanks!

liquidtiger720
08-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Get a bottle of Quick Detailer and spray it on, and wipe off with a microfiber towel. OR...get a bottle of spray and wipe or spray and gloss from www.poorboysworld.com and wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Say no to the terry towel.

Jeff N.
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
"Dull" paint is due to junk on the surface and microscratches in the paint itself. The best way to maintain a shine is to be very very careful in how you clean the car. You want to avoid rubbing the dirt into the surface - it just puts microscratches back into the paint. The same ones you painfully removed with your claybar and polish.

I'd take a careful look at how you're dusting off the car to make sure you're not really rubbing dirt into the paint. Quick Detailer and others help float the dirt off the paint and minimize scratching.

Hope this helps.

uscharalph
08-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Last week my car got the full clay bar, 3-step polish and carnauba treatment. Today it's lost a lost of its glassy shine since then, and it's glassy feel, too.

It hasn't been exposed to rain, but I do keep it in a parking garage which is pretty dusty.

Dusting the car with a terry towel just seems to move the dirt around.

What's the best way to keep my car looking fresh day to day? I don't mind spending a few minutes on it every morning.

Thanks!
I use one of those "Original California Car Dusters." The ones you've seen on TV. They work pretty good about removing and not just moving dust.

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pick up some quick detailer and one of those microfibre dealies. :D

brodee
08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
I use one of those "Original California Car Dusters." The ones you've seen on TV. They work pretty good about removing and not just moving dust.

I have one of those too, they have a wax built in to them that helps to lift the dust off the car and not just spread it around. I use it on my black Harley when it gets dusty in the garage.

SharkmanBMW
08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I have one of those too, they have a wax built in to them that helps to lift the dust off the car and not just spread it around. I use it on my black Harley when it gets dusty in the garage.

Brodee, You should add a pic of your hog to your sig. pic... it is a real beaut!

brodee
08-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Brodee, You should add a pic of your hog to your sig. pic... it is a real beaut!

Ahh, thanks, it's my garage queen lately, too hot to ride it down here.

http://www.tmdnet.com/bike.jpg

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Ahh, thanks, it's my garage queen lately, too hot to ride it down here.

http://www.tmdnet.com/bike.jpg
Nice! Is that a hardtail?

brodee
08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Nice! Is that a hardtail?

Nope, it's a softail, I just put lowered springs on it and it only has about an inch of travel on the rear now. Everything from the seat back was cut off and re-done to fit the fat tire.

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Nope, it's a softail, I just put lowered springs on it and it only has about an inch of travel on the rear now. Everything from the seat back was cut off and re-done to fit the fat tire.
Very nice...