PDA

View Full Version : Paint overspray

1995 525i
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
When i painted my trim I accidently got some on my car. My friends can't see it easily but of course I can. How can I get it off? Wetsanding? Compound?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Michael

tnt525i
08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
ive seen someone remove overspray with low grade laquer thinners, he soaked an end of a cloth with it and quickly pressed the cloth on the paint while moving in one motion across the area affected, after he waxed the area with normal car polish. ive never did it myself though. hope that helps

Adnan
08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi,

What kind of paint was it? Urethane with base/clear or rattle can enamel or lacquer? If it is minor overspray and hasn't been on too long, try a clay bar to start with. Next, try a rubbing compound but you may damage the native paint if you are too aggressive.

If it's a urethane, you may have to wet sand, starting with 1000 grit followed by 2000. Remember to soak the paper for a couple of hours in a bucket of water before you attempt to sand with it. If you don't, the edges will scratch the paint.

Honestly, if it isn't noticeable, leave it be. You may do more harm than good trying to get it off.

Regards,
Adnan

632 Regal
08-23-2005, 04:20 PM
try regular paint thinner (mineral spirits) for oil base paints that you get from a hardware store, not the stuff from an auto paint store. It should soften the4 overspray and if your cars paint is stock it shouldnt do any damage at all...I use it to remove tar and crap off my car, no problems.

brodee
08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Definately try a clay bar first. I used one to get some silver overspray off the black fender on my bike and it had been on there for about a year. It's cheap and doesn't harm the paint so it's a good place to start.

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Definately try a clay bar first. I used one to get some silver overspray off the black fender on my bike and it had been on there for about a year. It's cheap and doesn't harm the paint so it's a good place to start.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try al three and see which one works best.

Regards,

Michael

632 Regal
08-24-2005, 09:32 AM
and the winner is?

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
and the winner is?
Haven't tried them yet. I will let you know which one works.

:)

DaCan23
08-24-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd vote for that the claybar gets it.

Isnt it funny how we notice things on our cars no one else does.

I was out washing the cars, and my neighbors always tease me. One person said, they look nice, and I said I hadn't washed the 2nd one yet and she said "But it looks clean" and I was like no way it's wicked dirty LOL

I point out minor things to people on their cars, one lady in my complex had a dent on her car for a couple of days. I noticed it at dusk and I pointed to it and it took her a min to notice.

Tiger
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Clay bar is the answer.

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd vote for that the claybar gets it.

Isnt it funny how we notice things on our cars no one else does.

I was out washing the cars, and my neighbors always tease me. One person said, they look nice, and I said I hadn't washed the 2nd one yet and she said "But it looks clean" and I was like no way it's wicked dirty LOL

I point out minor things to people on their cars, one lady in my complex had a dent on her car for a couple of days. I noticed it at dusk and I pointed to it and it took her a min to notice.
I'm the same way. I know exactly where the blemishes are and my eyes go right to them as if pulled by some sort of gigantic magnet. Sucks for my wife because she is unable to run over "those darn garbage" cans without me noticing the scratches on her van.

Jr ///M5
08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Claybar has been around a very long time, bodyshops used it to....remove overspray.....so if it worked way back then, just think what it will do nowadays!

1995 525i
08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Claybar has been around a very long time, bodyshops used it to....remove overspray.....so if it worked way back then, just think what it will do nowadays!
good point.