PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear model badges

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 12:00 PM
How hard is it to remove the "535i" badge off my car? What kind of mark will it leave behind?

iainand
08-23-2005, 12:05 PM
How hard is it to remove the "535i" badge off my car? What kind of mark will it leave behind?

i have found pouring hot water over the badge will soften the adhesive and allow you to pull the badge off by hand carefully.

dternst
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Remove the badging with dental floss.

brodee
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
I use small fishing line. Put on some good leather gloves and wrap the line around both your hands and then work it down between the badge and the car while pulling towards you. Use a sawing motion to help cut through the adhesive. Once it's off use some bug & tar remover to get off the left over adhesive, then immediately wash it really good and wax.

ericcamaro
08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I still have the glue or adheasive on the back of my car and cannot get it off. i would recomend just leaving it on there.

Qube
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I still have the glue or adheasive on the back of my car and cannot get it off. i would recomend just leaving it on there.

Use a tiny bit of Lighter Fluid to get the goo off... or just use Goo Gone!

brodee
08-23-2005, 02:02 PM

I removed all the trim and logos on my truck with "bug & tar remover". That included the 4" wide trim strips all the way down the side and all the logos on the tailgate.

http://www.tmdnet.com/album/albums/Cars/2000%20Z71/With%20bike/normal_truck-bike4.JPG

Denasti
08-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Nice truck Brodee, I have the same one but no lift. Tough to work out of it being that high.

I do not have a hog in the back though. Nice scooter!

brodee
08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Nice truck Brodee, I have the same one but no lift. Tough to work out of it being that high.

I do not have a hog in the back though. Nice scooter!

Thanks, I actually bought that when I sold my M3 then sold it to get back into bimmers. Wish I had it back to tow the e30 with. Still have the bike though :D

ericcamaro
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
the stuff on the back of my car is not gooey at all it is hard as a rock and looks like cement and I tried a lot of things to get it off and am still unsucessful to this day.

spddmn713
08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
i used fishing line, hot water, a hair dryer, and 3M adhesive remover. It took a good few hours to get it perfect, but the 3M adhesive remover and the hair dryer are what realy did the trick. I definately recommend buying a can a 3M adhesive remover ($6-7 at any hardware store). Goof off did not do much, it worked but it was very slow and your arm begins to hurt. Use the hair dryer to heat the badge and soften the adhesive, pull it off with the fishing line, then the hard stuff begins. Get a stool and use the hair dryer to soften the adhesive and use the adhesive remover on a paper towel or raq to work the adhesive off. Be patient and understand that 10 - 20 year old glue does not come off easily.

Badkrma
08-23-2005, 02:55 PM
I use WD40... even on the harder stuff, just let it stay on there of a little while, rub it out and then wash it. You still have to use some elbow grease.... Good luck.

Stephen

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM
depending on your paint.

after removing it, you may end up with a faint or not so faint 535i ghost from years of sun and rain.

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
depending on your paint.

after removing it, you may end up with a faint or not so faint 535i ghost from years of sun and rain.

Eww. Maybe I'll leave well enough alone.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
door/side trim.

the PO had those crappy self adhesive side trim things running down the side of the car.

It took me a whole Sunday and lighter fluid, alcohol, lacquer thinner, hair dryer and elbow grease to get them off.

Then I had to hand rub the finish back, but you can faintly see a couple of lines here and there where the paint was discoloered by the elements