PDA

View Full Version : OT : ? Nikasil problem in E39 sixes in Oz

Zeuk in Oz
08-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Am currently looking at a '98 523i to add to the stable - no the E34 isn't going. For you in th US, the 523i is a de-tuned (170 hp) version of the 2.5 litre M52 in the E39.
Imagine my surprise when my mechanic told me that there was a problem in the '96-00 523i and 528i cars as they have Nikasil blocks, but that from 2000 - on all the 525i and 530i cars use Alusil blocks.
( At least, thanks to this forum, guys and girls, I didn't look a complete idiot and asked an intelligent question about a leakdown test ).
Am now organising this test on the car.
What I don't understand, however, is if the Nikasil problem was related to high fuel sulphur levels, which we apparently don't have and haven't had in Oz, why has my mechanic seen lots of failed Nikasil engines in both 5 and 3 series cars ?
Any ideas or input appreciated . :)

shogun
08-22-2005, 02:19 AM
according to my knowledge it was the biggest problem in USA and the U.K.
Never here in Japan.
Here some info
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=373&vm=r
http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/nikasil.htm

And quite often apparently the mechanics put the fault on this issue if they do not know the real problem.

Zeuk in Oz
08-22-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks Shogun, as usual - excellent info !
Interestinger and interestinger - and here I always thought it only affected V8s - which it obviously did in the US as they apparently didn't import the M52 engine.
Must speak to my mechanic again tomorrow to clarify the issues he has seen .
Thanks again ! :)

Zeuk in Oz
08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
quite often apparently the mechanics put the fault on this issue if they do not know the real problem.
Spoke with my mechanic again. He used to work for BMW and told me of many Nikasil engines that had been replaced here in Oz.
He explained the issue this way :
Honing marks in the cylinder wall are meant to retain oil which lubricates the piston.
In Nikasil lined blocks the honing marks are removed by the piston rings and the cylinder walls become too smooth and cannot retain the oil required for lubrication so the piston is running virtually dry.
This then leads to excessive wear of the rings and loss of compression which replacement of rings will not fix for very long as the new rings also wear out very quickly.

I am having difficulty understanding if this is the classic Nikasil problem or if my mechanic is describing something else.

Any comments welcomed.

Zeuk in Oz
08-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Bump !

Anyone ?

Paul in NZ
08-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Apparently in NZ there was never a nikasil issue...according to BMW,i will ask my indy about the M52...

632 Regal
08-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Have the leakdown performed or just move on to another car. Does the car run/idle good now?