PDA

View Full Version : Any way to revive tired glass?

Jay 535i
08-21-2005, 10:31 AM
My windscreen is pitted from age, and scratched from the previous owner's irrational sentimental attachment to ancient windscreen wipers.

Anything I can do to spiff it up? Is there, like, wax for glass? :)

winfred
08-21-2005, 10:49 AM
theres pollishing kits for windshields that use a drill but i've never tried it

SRR2
08-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, in fact there is something you can do. Get yourself some 0000 steel wool. Oil it up with some light additive-free oil like sewing machine oil and try it on an unobtrusive part of the windshield to see how it works out. I've had pretty good luck with this in removing similar scratches, but I've noticed that the results and the amount of work involved vary quite a bit. Presumably that's because some glass is harder than others, but who knows... Anyway, give it a shot. The stuff is cheap at your local hardware store or HD. If the windshield is really bad, you might try skipping the oil, but tread lightly because it's possible you could make it worse.

dternst
08-21-2005, 05:06 PM
If the glass is pitted there is really nothing you can do for the glass except replacement. No amount of polishing will remove the "pit" from your windshield. Most glass polishing compunds will only remove minor surface imperfections.

Elekta
08-21-2005, 09:21 PM
call your insurance company. Perhaps a rock chip will move a crack all across the screen if you learn they replace these outside of your deductible? ;)

Qube
08-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Perhaps some minor work with that Clay Bar that you dropped earlier whilst doing the body? :p

EonPeon
08-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Get a spring-loaded centre-punch from your hardware store (used for punching guide holes when drilling metal). Use it to punch one corner of the windshield.

Hey-presto! Instant windshield replacement required!

(Careful - can make a BIG mess! Cover your dash/interior with a sheet!)

Ian

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Get a spring-loaded centre-punch from your hardware store (used for punching guide holes when drilling metal). Use it to punch one corner of the windshield.

Ian

Sorry to be the voice of reason here, but that's insurance fraud, and it's wrong. I won't do it.

winfred
08-23-2005, 06:36 PM
something like this
http://store.yahoo.com/properrvcare/glpokit.html
should get the job done

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2005, 06:47 PM
To clean and glue a new one in.

Jay 535i
08-23-2005, 06:55 PM
something like this
http://store.yahoo.com/properrvcare/glpokit.html
should get the job done

It says it "cannot remove pits, spots and scratches". I guess nothing can.

ukm5
08-23-2005, 07:02 PM
too right...lock up that man up....

uscharalph
08-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Ian
LOL! You are funny!

brodee
08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry to be the voice of reason here, but that's insurance fraud, and it's wrong. I won't do it.

I work for an insurance company, you beat me to that answer.