PDA

View Full Version : Rear windows go up slowly or not at all, but the motor is fine. What to do?

Phil M
02-27-2004, 12:52 AM
Today I investigated why my rear windows suck at going up. Come to find out that the motor is working fine, but the screw at the top that brings the two parts together (the silver part to the black part) was stripped out and not properly anchoring the motor part (silver) to the gear (black). when i pushed up on the motor to make it seem as if a screw were holding it, the window worked fine.

http://69.0.158.19/live/thumb/O305082074OES.JPG

What im askin is how should I try to anchor the two parts together since the screw is stripped out? Im not about to dish out $180+ for 2 new motors just bc of a simple stripped screw, or is that the only way to go?

ScottyWM
02-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Here's what I did... Had the exact same thing, and eventually it would stop going up or down if it got into too big a bind.

Used a coat hanger and wrapped it around the motor and gear to hold the two in place. Used it like one of those wire tie wraps on a garbage bag. Trim it off making sure it doesn't hit anything with the window moving up and down, and you're all set. It's been probably 3+ years now - it's given me no problems since.

Scott
'93 525iT

Rusty
02-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Here's what I did... Had the exact same thing, and eventually it would stop going up or down if it got into too big a bind.

Used a coat hanger and wrapped it around the motor and gear to hold the two in place. Used it like one of those wire tie wraps on a garbage bag. Trim it off making sure it doesn't hit anything with the window moving up and down, and you're all set. It's been probably 3+ years now - it's given me no problems since.

Scott
'93 525iT

Phil M
02-27-2004, 04:54 PM
that motor gets pretty darn hot after just a few times and im thinkin the zip tie would probably melt and/or stretch due to the heat. im still trying to figure out how to tie a coat hanger around it?