PDA

View Full Version : check control module - advanced course

shogun
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Just found an interesting article from 2002 which our good friend "Rainman" aka aka.. ;) dug up about the warning bongs about brake light trouble, etc, which are there but the lights are actually o.k.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/e32/messages/archive/msgsy2002w12/53079.html

Kalevera
08-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Hhhhmmm....and *somebody* thought I was crazy for intimating the CCM could be at fault :)

Very nice, my friend....very nice.

best, whit

Jay 535i
08-20-2005, 06:43 PM
warning bongs

I would call them "warning dings" or "tones." Where I come from, "bongs" are something different. :)

shogun
08-20-2005, 08:58 PM
If warning dings" or "tones or "bongs" .
After you see/feel/hear it, same trouble ;)
No problem, whatever your native language/slang is, you are in trouble.
The British (some of them) call it the mother of all bongs

EonPeon
08-21-2005, 06:08 AM
But a 'ding' can also be a small dent...

A 'bong' is something used to smoke pot...

A 'dong' is slang for penis...

I'm afraid there really isn't much left in the realms of onomatopaeic expressions to describe our beloved gong sound without entering the world of double-entendres...

Any ideas, anyone?

Ian

Qsilver7
08-21-2005, 07:52 AM
But...
* A 'ding' can also be a small dent...
* A 'bong' is something used to smoke pot...
* A 'dong' is slang for penis...
I'm afraid there really isn't much left in the realms of onomatopaeic expressions to describe our beloved gong sound without entering the world of double-entendres...

Any ideas, anyone?

Ian
Well, how about:
"chime" - for the CCM warnings
"pip" - for the OBC warnings (like the 3 pips from the OBC when you have the 1 hour memo initiated)

emw525E34
08-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Well, enough of this already! Or else someone will go bonkers on this thread.

A new one, "Bonk"!.

lesage
11-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Have parasitic current drain (.18a) when all is off and key out -- which had contributed to a flat battery. The drainm seems to be on Fuse 20 circuits which include the CCM and OBC and Gong (and A/c and Central locking etc etc).

When I take out CCM, the drain reduces to a normal level (.03a). Could a CCM draw that much current...when 'ide;' ie no messages appearing on OBC? Or is it inciting the OBC to do something else and its that that causes the drain?

I had thought the problem to be the GONG, at first, because when searching for the cause I could detect a very faint crackling-type noise from the gong. However isolating/disconnecting this completely didnt cause the parasitic drain to decrease more than about .01, maybe .02 amps.

Does this mean the OBC's 'bad'? Do others who have had incorrect messages from the OBC also show a high parasitic drain? I do get a rogue License plate light message from time to time...

Javier
11-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Javier

shogun
11-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Here is an additonal info from a regional German E34 board with many pics how to resolder and where.
http://www.e34-welt.de/tips_tricks/Reparaturanleitung%20CCM%20e34%20e32.pdf

emw525E34
11-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Yeah, Eric, the darn gong drives people bonkers DownUnder!.

Javier
11-11-2005, 07:01 AM
with an E34 and switch CCM module.

You are right considering it may be the CCM triggering something else in Instrument cluster, a possible test would be to unplug Instrument cluster keeping CCM in, and verifying for the leak. The problem is that it is still possible that Instrument Cluster is OK and is only obeying CCM orders, so locating the leak to it, being the fact that CCM removal also stops the leak, will not be conclusive. Again, switching CCM with a known good one will definitely discard or confirm a CCM issue.

Javier

lesage
11-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Javier: Yes; have feeling that at end of day and for reasons you say, i need a Friend with a spare CCM...

shogun
11-11-2005, 08:10 AM
David,
contact these chaps her
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php
Tell them shogun (erich) told you the address and ask them who lives next to you to thest the modules. Go to the E32 board there. They are very helpful. They also have parts and I know a guy the who can resolder swords, CCM, LKM and so on.

Javier
11-11-2005, 08:17 AM
all willing to help, I regret living so far away, would love to met in a huge barbecue.

Javier

lesage
11-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Shogun: Thanks for that. I'll contact them. Will ask German friend to try translating that rather splendid link on CCM from deutsche :-). Mind you, she's more into French films tham BMW control modules :-)
I echo Javier's sentiments. Its marvellous to see how one can make things tick from attitude and information together

Lennyz525i
11-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Great info. My CCM has been acting up for a while. I'm just going to spend the $20 and get another one. This looks like too difiicult a task for me. :)

Paul in NZ
11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
would love to met in a huge barbecue

not sure about meeting IN the bbq Javier but love the idea!!!!I am gonna look at that map and plot a central point for us all and charter a ship and hire a track and book a hotel and hire a few bbq........:p

Javier
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
IN instead of at, isn't it?. Sorry, I didn't mean to burn us all in the big hell fire.

Javier

lesage
11-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Great info. My CCM has been acting up for a while. I'm just going to spend the $20 and get another one. This looks like too difiicult a task for me. :)
Errrrm...if you can get one for $20, will you get me one at the same time? I havent checked prices anywhere but have a feeling theres a 0 missing isnt there??

lesage
11-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I think the bbq is a great idea. maybe one for the northern hemisphre and one for the southern one :-)

Ladykats
11-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Hello gentlemen,
I am hoping that one of you can assist me. I have a 95 525i that is doing exactly what you descripted in giving read out of oil level low, and coolant low. After reading this thread, I swapped the CCM from my 94 740il into my 95 525i. I still have the same readouts on the dash display. Is there any thing else that could be causing reading besides the sensors. Out of my 5 BMW's this is the only one with display problems. A friend has a spare coolant level switch for this series bimmer, which he is bringing in tomorrow. I am hopeful that will be the fix for that display. But one never knows.

Ladykats

Javier
11-11-2005, 08:17 PM
the same warnings, you either have a real issue as reported, a bad sensor, or a wiring problem between the sensor and the CCM. Opening coolant level circuit will produce a warning signal, so broken wire or dirty contact will result in an event report. If you pull out the sensor connector, jump with a wire the two contacts, and signal disapears, the sensor is in trouble.

Low oil is more complicated, but may behave similary in an specific open wire/dirty contact condition. (dual contact, one opens, one closes to ground)

Javier

lesage
11-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I final comment: the current drain was tracked down to the CCM and only the CCM. Replacing it with a known good one reduced the drain from .19a to .04a

My thanks to Shogun for the original posting about CCMs, and the suggestion to visit the e32 board. And thanks to Polcon (Nat) on the e32 board for volunteering a spare CCM to try out.

Incidentally, a rogue warning about Licence plate lamp not working which iI used to get still continues with the new CCM...so that aspect hasnt changed...

Javiers comments about the board and its value- human and parctical, - is endorsed.

Javier
11-20-2005, 05:03 PM
checking the hinge harnes at the trunk lid. Think it will be my first advise for any electrical issue related to trunk lid devices.

Javier

lesage
11-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Javier: Light bulbs are fine (BMW supplied so wattage s/b OK). The PO had had BMW replace the rear harness under warranty as I understand. Doesnt mean a fault hasnt reappeared of course & would agree harness a likely cause. However the Check Control error message varies as to the time it appears. Sometimes as soon as lights are switched on (esp with this 'new' CCM); sometimes only after a while. So It might I think also be an LKM imperfection

Dan in NZ
11-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Dirty contacts on the bulb holders? Leaking lamp housing?

I had an intermittant "tail lamp" warning for a week after using a high-pressure car wash. Must've got a bit wet and taken a week to dry out...

lesage
11-25-2005, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Dan in NZ]Dirty contacts on the bulb holders? Leaking lamp housing?
True: I should check those more carefully. I havent cleaned the contacts with an abrasive. One reason was that I couldnt work out how to detach the lamp fitting from the loom. While the connectore has the appearence of a straight forward slide in and push fitting, I couldnt work out how to open it. didnt fancy a pile of work in wrenching it open, replacing etc...