PDA

View Full Version : diff leaking oil on one side?

Russell
08-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Had my tires rotated and balanced and it appears that the shaft seal on the driver's side of the differential is leaking oil. looks fairly recent as I have not noticed oil in my garage.

Is this a difficult do it your self or should I let my indy do it.? For that matter I may not worry much about it at this time. BTW, the oil was changed about 6,000 miles ago. I Just thought, where is the fill hole? It may be leaking there.

TIA

Bill R.
08-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Here (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/transmission/Differential_seals.asp)

Had my tires rotated and balanced and it appears that the shaft seal on the driver's side of the differential is leaking oil. looks fairly recent as I have not noticed oil in my garage.

Is this a difficult do it your self or should I let my indy do it.? For that matter I may not worry much about it at this time. BTW, the oil was changed about 6,000 miles ago. I Just thought, where is the fill hole? It may be leaking there.

TIA

Russell
08-20-2005, 10:47 AM
I may ask my indy for quote for the one side only and then decided what to do. It looks doable, however my free time is limited for the next few months.

Here (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/transmission/Differential_seals.asp)

632 Regal
08-20-2005, 11:16 AM
it's not a hard job at all, remove the cv axle, pry off the output flange, tear the old seal out and pop the new one in...if you decide to do this remember to lube the flange side of the seal before you put the flange back on.

Kalevera
08-20-2005, 05:19 PM
it's not a hard job at all, remove the cv axle, pry off the output flange, tear the old seal out and pop the new one in...if you decide to do this remember to lube the flange side of the seal before you put the flange back on.
True.

Jeff is too much of a gentleman to mention it, but he's also published a writeup on the topic of diff rebuilding.

I, personally, wouldn't replace it on my own without having something - at least nominally correct - to press it in. BMW has a special tool to do it..made of some plastic composite. Well, after years of use, Brett managed to destroy all of them and had the machine shop next door make a more robust set.

best, whit