PDA

View Full Version : Question about my instrument cluster

mbogosia
08-20-2005, 06:41 AM
On my instrument cluster I can't see what gear I am in and what mode(Sport,etc..) Where should I start in trying to fix this problem. I assume it might be a bad bulb or fuse. Any write ups anywhere. I want to make sure I keep everything working and this should be a pretty cheap sunday project.

Kalevera
08-20-2005, 07:11 AM
mbo...

There is a bulb for the gear display that can blow out. Best bet is to check that first.

However, my messed up dash module will sometimes not backlight that particular display after I've been messing around with the coding chip or related components (ie - removing the dash module or OBC and reinstalling those items). This also happened last weekend as I was running some new/unrelated wiring.

Sorry to not have any conclusive results for you. In your case, I bet it's just the bulb, though. Nice and easy.

best, whit

SRR2
08-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Easy once you remove the cluster, that is. The OP should get himself a handful of replacement bulbs and replace the odo, check control, and trans annunciators. They will all be on the verge of burning out.

As far as removing the cluster, there are a few sites that have procedures/pics. You don't say how old your car is. The very old ones, like '88 production may have thicker clusters in them than the newer ones. Lots of people report being able to remove the cluster by removing only the steering wheel. In my car, I had to remove the wheel AND drop the column, and even then it was a very tight fit.

mbogosia
08-20-2005, 08:16 AM
I have a 95 525I. I haven't checked Bruno's site so I will go there right now. That is a good idea to change all the bulbs while I am back there, so I don't have to do it again.

mbogosia
08-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I am getting closer with this. http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/capacitors.htm

dacoyote
08-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I have a 95 525I. I haven't checked Bruno's site so I will go there right now. That is a good idea to change all the bulbs while I am back there, so I don't have to do it again.

On my 95 I was able to take it out without taking the wheel off, Just cover the steering wheel with a T-Shirt so you don't mess it up.

-Charles

SRR2
08-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Obviously they got better at designing the clusters as time went on. Truth is, however, once you've done the wheel-removal for the first time, the second time would take only a couple of minutes. It's not hard, the problem is that you're feeling your way through an unfamililar job.

The cluster in my E34 was so thick that it was difficult to pull it out of the binnacle with the connectors plugged in. It took a lot of wiggling. There was NO way it could have fit through, or behind, the wheel -- non-adjustable steering column/wheel in that year, you know?

dacoyote
08-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Obviously they got better at designing the clusters as time went on. Truth is, however, once you've done the wheel-removal for the first time, the second time would take only a couple of minutes. It's not hard, the problem is that you're feeling your way through an unfamililar job.

The cluster in my E34 was so thick that it was difficult to pull it out of the binnacle with the connectors plugged in. It took a lot of wiggling. There was NO way it could have fit through, or behind, the wheel -- non-adjustable steering column/wheel in that year, you know?

Yeah, with mine all the way forward I could get it out, disconnected,,, the on the side it would slide out through the top opening of the wheel.

-Charles

Bill R.
08-20-2005, 09:27 AM
years ago that used to be linked to Bruno's site. Contrary to what srr said I have never seen any variation in the thickness of the cluster and i've done all years. My own car is a 88 production and i had no trouble getting the cluster out after the steering wheel was removed. The process is very easy as long as you follow all the instructions. I always pull the steering wheel to avoid damaging or scratching the face of the cluster which can happen if your trying to work it out between the wheel. Here's the link to the procedure (http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html)

Here's some pics of the various cluster backs.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster1%20copy.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster2copy.jpg

These pics are the sept. 88 production on my own car, the ones on the write up are a little newer 525 cluster.

iw
On my instrument cluster I can't see what gear I am in and what mode(Sport,etc..) Where should I start in trying to fix this problem. I assume it might be a bad bulb or fuse. Any write ups anywhere. I want to make sure I keep everything working and this should be a pretty cheap sunday project.

SRR2
08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Dunno what to tell you Bill. I'd seen your procedure before I started my own cluster project, and it was very helpful. However, there were some differences in my car, for instance I had THREE screws in the lower column cover, one of which required removing the bolster to get to. It was a real pain in the ass. Believe me, it was driving me nuts, looking at your procedure and pix that said TWO screws, and sitting there with my head under the column and trying to figure out why the damn cover wouldn't come off. I almost tore it out before I finally figured out that there was a stealth screw in there, and that it was invisible behind the bolster.

As far as the thickness goes, I can't see how the cluster I had could have passed through the wheel as others have reported, under even the best of circumstances. It was simply too thick, and not by a little bit. It was WAY too thick. It barely fit into the binnacle when it was tilted forward to access the connectors. I had to stretch the wires quite a bit to pull it out far enough to remove the connectors.

The advice I'd give to others performing this task is to study the procedures that are out there, work methodically, don't force anything, and be aware that your vehicle might possibly differ in some detail from the documentation you have at hand.

Beemr750
08-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Just a reminder there are two different rated bulbs at various places.