PDA

View Full Version : Bad oil mess BUT M50 Finely starts

pyro
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
well first thing i did was change the oil got new filter and all. all went well BUT the crush washer they included was weird and let oil dump out the top of the oil filter housing..... creating a huge mess in the engine compartment. lucky i caught it in time because i noticed a little trail behind my car. still have enough oil thank god... now for the mess i don't know how to clean it. the m50 looks way to electronic to even clean the engine compartment. what do you guys subject ? i want to clean the under the motor and all so that i can spot new leaks. (The previous owner didn't take good care of the car) AND the good news is the car runs after tinkering all summer long and I'm shore you guys remember the post M50 won't start thread. as you can tell from my post I'm excited. So thanks everyone who helped me fix the problem. ESPECIALLY Javier for his electronic help.

Paul in NZ
08-19-2005, 04:58 PM
well done pyro you have shown a great deal of patience and determination to get the car running.I would use a whole bundle of rags maybe with some kerosene or similar and just scrub away.......Dont steam or pressure clean the engine compartment

pyro
08-19-2005, 05:08 PM
do you think the hose would be fine? i need to see where the engine is leeking oil from i don't kno if its valve cover or oil pan gasket or mabe rear seals... i also have a ps system leek and a radiator leek blah car was not well taken care of but its beautiful everywhere elts... just cant hold its fluids.

pyro
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
the hose= garden hose

Paul in NZ
08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I wouldnt use a hose.......but i am a scardey cat.Maybe if you cover the connectors Just use lots of rags and some solvents,it will be messy but safe....

winfred
08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
water dilutable degreaser and light hose pressure with a cold motor, dry out the spark plug wells before you restart if they got wet, run it and let the heat dry it the rest of the way out afterward

Gayle
08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
I know you are not supposed to steam clean engines but did it anyway on the 525 and suffered no ill effects. The timing belt broke a few years ago on that car and it was not pretty scene. Layers of oil and grime everywhere. $65 and a one day drop off and I can see the engine again.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Add a spray bottle full of simple green for the tough spots, and it comes pretty clean.

If it's really bad hook the hose up to a hot water source to help wash away the crud.

Russell
08-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Cover electrical connections, fuse area and any component you are concerned about with aluminum foil such as coil on older engines. Make sure engine is warm,not hot and spray engine and engine compartment with gunk or similar degreaser. Ler set about 15 minutes. Spray down (moderate pressure) with water hose to rinse off gunk and grease. Remove foil and start engine and warm it up to dry surfaces. Then wipe down easy to reach surfaces. Been no problem for me. I do it two or three times a year.

well first thing i did was change the oil got new filter and all. all went well BUT the crush washer they included was weird and let oil dump out the top of the oil filter housing..... creating a huge mess in the engine compartment. lucky i caught it in time because i noticed a little trail behind my car. still have enough oil thank god... now for the mess i don't know how to clean it. the m50 looks way to electronic to even clean the engine compartment. what do you guys subject ? i want to clean the under the motor and all so that i can spot new leaks. (The previous owner didn't take good care of the car) AND the good news is the car runs after tinkering all summer long and I'm shore you guys remember the post M50 won't start thread. as you can tell from my post I'm excited. So thanks everyone who helped me fix the problem. ESPECIALLY Javier for his electronic help.

pyro
08-20-2005, 01:17 AM
thankyou just making shure there wasn't a problem w/ the m50. i did it to my m30 a few times w/ no problem.