PDA

View Full Version : Replaced clock to on-board computer and fault.

tibbe
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi.

Replaced the clock in my -94520iA Touring for a on-board computer ( snr end with 055 ). Dismounted the inner wall with the countact to make room for te on-board computer. Then connected the computer to the countact and it's compleatly dead. Tried with ign on / off / radio /// and it's still wery "silent".

It's about 22 wires in the connector.
Can it be that it's diffrent wiring diagram for clock / on-board computer or did i get a fault computer from the used part dealer?

Any way to test it like applying 12V to any pin + ground +..,+..,+ any resistor to ground and pin? to test out temp function, +... ?

Or are there any wiring diagram out there to check out, to make a test bed for this device.

/Sven-Erik

Interceptor
08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Did you have an analog or digital clock before? Do you have an instrument cluster with or without check control? Do you have an alarm (with an auxiliary horn relay installed)? Do you have the temperature sensor installed in the front bumper (you have it if you had a digital clock with the outside temperature display).

tibbe
08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Did you have an analog or digital clock before? Do you have an instrument cluster with or without check control? Do you have an alarm (with an auxiliary horn relay installed)? Do you have the temperature sensor installed in the front bumper (you have it if you had a digital clock with the outside temperature display).

It had (/has) a digital clock with outdoor temp function. No alarm.
Check control? how to determine if installed?
The car was made for the german market(, only one previous owner and 90k on the odo).

Interceptor
08-19-2005, 03:54 PM
It had (/has) a digital clock with outdoor temp function. No alarm.
Check control? how to determine if installed?
The car was made for the german market(, only one previous owner and 90k on the odo).
525i and higher models had CC and lower ones (518i, 520i, 524td and 525td/s) didn't.

Try these links:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/OBC.htm [ENGLISH]
http://gunnar525.de/screwings/index.html [GERMAN]

I hope it helps!

ukm5
08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
basically your 520 doesnt have a coding plug, this is a chip that tells the cars computers what type of car it is and various other data, most OBC require that coding plug to be there. Its most likely that you have the OBC that requires that chip, rather than the one for your car which has one built in(much rarer and more expensive)

525 and above have this system in place as standard

HOWEVER - if this was the case you would get PPPP on the display not nothing, which i believe you are getting, now on one of mine which also had the clock, you have to play with the wiring even when you have the full wiring loom for some reason or it will not even turn on:
this is from BMWE34.net

The most likely culprit is pin 17 as there will be no power to this if your car doesn't have the auxiliary horn relay installed and without power at pin 17 the OBC will play completely dead. If there is no power at pin 17 an easy solution is to cut the red-grey-yellow wire that goes to pin 17, cut it as far from the connector as possible to make life easier, and join this to the red-yellow (red with a yellow stripe, there's also a yellow wire with a red stripe!) wire that provides power to pin 9. You could join these via a 5 or 10 amp fuse if you prefer and it may be no harm to tape off the end of the red-grey-yellow wire coming from the car so it can't cause any problems.

OBC
---
pin1: violet/green/yellow, alarm system
pin10: black/green, starter
pin6: + from fuse F17
pin9: + from fuse F20 (red/yellow)
pin8: + from fuse F1
pin22: grey/red, light switch
pin25: yellow/red, turn signal switch
pin3: white/yellow, diagnostics
pin16: white/violet, diagnostics
pin14: white/grey, instrument cluster
pin7: black/white, instrument cluster
pin4: ground
pin5: blue/red/yellow, temp sensor
pin20: black/red/yellow, pre-ventilation
pin21: black/white, pre-ventilation
pin23: violet/white/yellow, alarm system
pin17: red/grey/yellow, alarm system
pin26: black/red/yellow, fuel tank level sensor
pin12: brown/violet, fuel tank level sensor
pin11: white/black, DME
pin24: black/violet, DME
pin19: white/red, chimes
pin18: white/blue, chimes
pin15: white/brown, radio
pin2: blue/brown/yellow, radio

tibbe
08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
basically your 520 doesnt have a coding plug, this is a chip that tells the cars computers what type of car it is and various other data, most OBC require that coding plug to be there. Its most likely that you have the OBC that requires that chip, rather than the one for your car which has one built in(much rarer and more expensive)

525 and above have this system in place as standard

HOWEVER - if this was the case you would get PPPP on the display not nothing, which i believe you are getting, now on one of mine which also had the clock, you have to play with the wiring even when you have the full wiring loom for some reason or it will not even turn on:
this is from BMWE34.net

The most likely culprit is pin 17 as there will be no power to this if your car doesn't ......

Hi.

This start to be a challange ;) , had no power on pin 17 so I cut the wire and connected it to the wire to pin 9. It's working now as i see the "PPPP" coming up. This OBC has a build in "chip".

Took some minutes to figure out the pin-diagram, used the dissambled digital clock to test the wires.

Now to the next step to make it operational.
The german site http://gunnar525.de/ has a lot of tips on this. Any other tips?

-- BG --
Sven-Erik

ukm5
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi.

This start to be a challange ;) , had no power on pin 17 so I cut the wire and connected it to the wire to pin 9. It's working now as i see the "PPPP" coming up. This OBC has a build in "chip".

who says it has a built in chip? PPPP would indicate otherwise

tibbe
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM

You are right, it has no build in chip.
Do I have to rebuild it with chip holder as described at http://gunnar525.de/ or can I use it at all in my -94 520iA?

-- BG --
Sven-Erik

ukm5
08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
its entirely up to you, its a shame u have the 520 model as anything higher would not be a problem - you can put a chip into it, but you cant just use any chip, it contains information about your car, so if u get a coding chip from a normal car its going to be 525 or above so things like fuel consumption may be innacurate along with a host of other things
it depends how compitent u are with soldering in a new chip, id suggest u sell ur OBC and source one that is suitable for your car

tibbe
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeep.

I know it's a shame having only a 520i when there are 540i's but when I got to tempted to have fun there are a beemer wating for me in the garage.
Back to the OBC, funny that it's listed as a option in the ETK when it can't be used.
Got a bit confused on this, there are some vital signals generated in the instrument board as momentary fuel consumption, speed and tankmeter. Only thing that should be calibrated are gastankvolume.
What's wrong in my assumtion?

-- BG --
Sven-Erik Tiberg
Lulea / Sweden

Javier
08-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Retrofitting OBC to 520i (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9656)

Javier

ukm5
08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeep.

I know it's a shame having only a 520i when there are 540i's but when I got to tempted to have fun there are a beemer wating for me in the garage.
Back to the OBC, funny that it's listed as a option in the ETK when it can't be used.
Got a bit confused on this, there are some vital signals generated in the instrument board as momentary fuel consumption, speed and tankmeter. Only thing that should be calibrated are gastankvolume.
What's wrong in my assumtion?

-- BG --
Sven-Erik Tiberg
Lulea / Sweden

i didnt say you cant fit an OBC i said you cant fit one that hasnt got a built in coding plug like most do, you need one specific for your car - You said earlier about the chips so i presumed you knew what was ment regards this

tibbe
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi "ukm5".

Sorry I missunderstood you, can not blaim on language infact on nothing, exept myselves.

PS. followed Javiers advise and found a great page at http://www.lightsoft.co.uk/bmw/obc.html that could help a lot.

Thank you all for your tips.
BTW: got some shots on the bimmer at: http://survey.ltu.se/movies/Cars/bimmer/index.html

A story: stopped near Kiel in germany on the way back home from a Internet BMW Riders / Europrez rally Internet BMW Riders / EuroPrez rally in belgium (http://survey.ltu.se/movies/EPX_meeting_belgium/EPX-3-2-july-05/index.html) in belgium at a friend and we took some hours to just look arround at some lockal car-dealers to spend some time together with one of our mutual interest. And suddenly this 520IA Touring just stnds there waiting at us for a testdrive, was actually looking for a 528I Touring from -98 -00 but couldn't resist this nice car. Made some shots with the camera and USB-FTP them up to my web-server, to get my wifes opinion.
Next day I headed north with the bimmer leaving my beemer ( K11LTSE ) at my friend. He ( Andreas ) volontered to ride it back to me some weeks later.
Had a AUDI200 ( 5000CS )Avant at my driveway that went to a new owner in Norway a week later to make place for the E34-520.

-- All the best --
Sven-Erik

tibbe
09-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Hi.

OBC'n installed and running now, got a chip for my -94 520iA with a great help from my dealer. All functions and their values seems correct.

Story in short:
Used a OBC w/o chip card from a 540. Part number: --- 055
Got a chip from my dealer that was inside a green holder used for OBC's with external chips. Welded a strip with 8 pins to the backplane PCB.
Made a 8 by 30 mm openeing in the backplane of the OBC house for trhe chip.
Installed and drowe some km to check it.

Thank you all for your tips and help.

-- BG --
Sven-Erik

Kai@e34.de
09-09-2005, 05:58 AM
right.
if you are installing an OBC and it's dead (if you have a nearly full equipped green connector), try to bridge pin #9 and #17 on this connector. the OBC should work then if you have one with a coding plug, how other members said already (the OBC without plug are for the models with Check Control and will not work in a 518i/520i/diesel. it would show you a PPPP error on these models). if it works, simply install the alarm horn relay under your rear seat.

tibbe
09-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Hoi Kai.
Cut the wire from pin #17 and welded it to wire pin#9, then got the pppp.
bought the chip and installed it, everything is running great now.
Why install the alarm horn?
PS. missing the 2 hours continious driving warning from my Audi. A saftey thing to remember to take a break.

/Sven-Erik