PDA

View Full Version : ! Questions about the LKM Headlight Fix ??

Excalibur_007
08-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey Everybody, I've got a '91 5.35i and it has the Low Beam flicker problem.
I've looked at the BMWE34.net solution. My question is this, where are you actually supposed to solder, from the looks of the picture you're supposed to solder all of the seperate connections together and just make the relay a straight through. Is this correct, or am I totally mis-reading the instructions, any help you could throw out would be great, especially if you caould add some pics in, too.

Thanks,
Excalibur_007

shogun
08-19-2005, 02:04 AM
Resolder all, including the socalled mustard relay
http://www.e32fixes.com/results.asp

Incantation
08-19-2005, 02:15 AM
well the instrucitons are pretty clear.. when i did mine i simply re-soldered the outlined connections, 4 total if i remember correctly. i also touched up a couple that looked as thought they might go in the future

just open her up and have at her

Mewsy
08-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Hey Everybody, I've got a '91 5.35i and it has the Low Beam flicker problem.
I've looked at the BMWE34.net solution. My question is this, where are you actually supposed to solder, from the looks of the picture you're supposed to solder all of the seperate connections together and just make the relay a straight through. Is this correct, or am I totally mis-reading the instructions, any help you could throw out would be great, especially if you caould add some pics in, too.

Thanks,
Excalibur_007

I got my soldering iron at operating temp and just rested it on the contacts until the original solder melted, then took the iron off and let it re set. No problems since !!

Javier
08-19-2005, 07:25 AM
over time loosing the connection between the component lead and the printed circuit pad.

The idea is to renew these solder points. Generally, melting again the solder and letting cool back will do it, I do prefer to remove the old one and add some fresh solder (resin core will clean surfaces and provide a longer lasting fix).

The points that generally break over time, are mainly those carrying high currents, like the relay main contact leads, the monitoring resistors leads, and the LKM power contacts. You can identify those as they are normally huge comparing to mere electronic control points. The power paths for Low Beams at LKM is from Pin 2 to Pin 21 for left and from pin 2 to pin 21 for right. Resolder all the components on this paths.

REMEMBER. The idea is to replace the LKM to its original condition, not to modify it, establishing bypasses or new connections.

Javier

uscharalph
08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
REMEMBER. The idea is to replace the LKM to its original condition, not to modify it, establishing bypasses or new connections.

Exactly!