PDA

View Full Version : Detailing...

ilya
02-26-2004, 09:55 PM
just wondering, around how much does it cost to detail a car?
i have a good amount of swirl marks along with light scratches, but the biggest thing is some chipped paint due to the ice storm we had. when i was cleanning the ice off, i took some paint off with it :(. a good amount is "missing" right above the driver door.
i realize it depends on a body shop i go to, but do you have a range i should be looking at, at all?

632 Regal
02-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Touch up paint version or otherwise?

winfred
02-26-2004, 11:03 PM
a good buff and clean is around $125 here

Phil M
02-26-2004, 11:09 PM
int. and ext.?

thats seems rather high.

buffers are like $120 and after a few times, it pays for itself. not to mention the feeling you get after you had just clean, waxed, and buffed her yourself.

then i guess theres people that dont have the time, patientice, or energy to do it themselves.

steven
02-26-2004, 11:19 PM
i generally charge $100 for a wash, polish and wax including clay bar and interior cleanup (i do quite a few on the side for friends, neighbors and family). that's pretty low for the amount of work involved as it is generally a day-long job (luckily i very much enjoy doing it and it pays for my supplies).

i've seen places around albany, ny charge as high as $250 for a complete job. it's nice, but that's a good buck.

you're right - buy a porter cable RO buffer and do it yourself - very satisfying and these finishes come out like glass with a reflection that won't quit (although i find i can get a little obsessed in the summertime....).

it's almost that time again......

ilya
02-27-2004, 02:12 AM
ok that gives me an idea.

take a look at these 2 pictures. ignore the fact that the car is dirty (this was a month ago, ive washed it thoroughly since and it actually looks very clean). oh and the hood has some really weird reflection on it at the time, so it looks very weird.

1) the swirl marks about 6 inches above the side marker light, all along the fender.
http://www.bimmer.info/~ilya/Picture022.jpg

2)the chips on the edge of the door
http://www.bimmer.info/~ilya/Picture 021.jpg

are these something that a body shop can professionaly remove (the dings). i know the swirl marks aren't that big of a deal. the dings are the biggest problem since they will require touch up paint and such.

steven
02-27-2004, 06:48 AM
a good body shop should make those dings disappear without a trace. i haven't priced them out (i have a few myself), but i'm told it's not that expensive.

DL-
02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
There's a detail shop on TV Hwy near the Intel facility in Aloha. They quoted me around $100 each for interior and exterior detailing. For paint chips, they require you to provide touch-up paint. They can also remove dents if they can get behind them (extra charge). I've never done business with them (preferred to find the time to do it myself).