PDA

View Full Version : BMW newbie questions....

MO525
02-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, I'm a newbie to the ranks.
My wife and I LOVE the car.
I'm just making sure it's tip-top for her and the baby.

Question 1: Oil weight. I have NEVER seen such a baffling array of viscocities than on the BMW manual oil chart. Unreal. I'm actually supposed to use 20W50 in this weather (the chart says most of the time)?!!! That stuff is like crude. What do most of you use this time of year?
Question 2: Required fuel octane. We've been running 91 (mid-grade) since the manual says 95 RON. 87 is a no-no?
Question 3: R&R of flex disc (Gaibo) without removing exhaust. :) I know, I know...it's one of those "mysteries of the universe" but it would sure save me a mountain of time on that repair. :)

Phil M
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
1) 5w30 in most climates, 50/50 mix of 0w30 and 15w50 if youre in colder areas and use Mobil 1 synthetic. theres been much talk about whats the best and it seems that most agree to Mobil 1. Red Line is also another good buy.
2) 89 octane or above is what to use, EAT chip requires 91
3) not my cup of tea..

Yes, I'm a newbie to the ranks.
My wife and I LOVE the car.
I'm just making sure it's tip-top for her and the baby.

Question 1: Oil weight. I have NEVER seen such a baffling array of viscocities than on the BMW manual oil chart. Unreal. I'm actually supposed to use 20W50 in this weather (the chart says most of the time)?!!! That stuff is like crude. What do most of you use this time of year?
Question 2: Required fuel octane. We've been running 91 (mid-grade) since the manual says 95 RON. 87 is a no-no?
Question 3: R&R of flex disc (Gaibo) without removing exhaust. :) I know, I know...it's one of those "mysteries of the universe" but it would sure save me a mountain of time on that repair. :)

Hallmark
02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
disconnecting the exhaust at the midjoint and leaving it attached to the exhaust manifold (thats the difficult end). You have to do a little manipulating, but I've done it with great success.