PDA

View Full Version : Update on Lowering with BavAuto Springs

93-525i
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
I've read most of the lowering threads I could find, but I just wanted to get the latest oppinions form those that have or have had the BavAuto springs on thier cars. I want a pretty stock like ride, not much harder than it is now. I have my SLK for spirited driving so I want the 525 to be more of a leisurley cruiser/ long distance driver. What do you guys think? Are these the springs to go with?

Thanks,

J

JonE
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Whit, Jeff, any thoughts on this!?

smcgowan
08-18-2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6906&highlight=smcgowan

Very close to stock as far as ride harshness....

Jeff's old Springs.... That v8 of his bottomed out a little to much for him a believe...

632 Regal
08-18-2005, 03:34 PM
yes the V8 is a bit heavier than the small 6, it still bottoms with the H&R springs too but not quite as bad. The Bavautos are probably OK as they arent expensive and not a total PITA to change out if your not happy with them.

93-525i
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Hmm, I read too much about the bottoming out with these springs so I canceled my order from BavAuto. I was also looking at the 3mm pad vs the 9mm, so what if you removed the pad all together? You could just put some silicone sealant on top of the spring and once dry it would act as a really thin barrier between the spring and seat and you'd be almost 9mm lower than stock? Just some ideas :)

pyro
08-18-2005, 03:46 PM
I had bav auto springs on my e32 w/ the m30 and there BAD the car always made this clunk noise when going over the littelest of bumps i thought controll arms and i repplaced them and it was still there. the spring was bottoming out on itself. at resting position in the driveway there you cant get a finger between the tire and the wheel well. just my .02$ worth

Jeff N.
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Martin's got 'em in his car. They ride pretty smooth for the most part. His are much better now that he's cut the bump stops on his Bilsteins. I'd think that's a must do with these springs.

Personally, they are not my favorite setup. Too low and a bit too soft for how low they are.

I haven't riden in too many cars with different springs so I can't really comment much. I can say that prefer my Dinan setup a quite a bit over the BavAuto setup.

If I were looking, I'd take a hard look at the Sachs kit. Matched spring /shock setup with a nice ride. Haven't seen anyone unhappy with that one. Not so with the BavAuto setup.

Kalevera
08-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Jeff, you must have incredibly good roads out there in Bellevue :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the BavAuto springs just aren't good at what they're supposed to do. There are much better options.

Read the second paragraph of this -- http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellFA.htm

By the way, about two weeks after I'd installed the springs, I called BavAuto to ask them about "cutting the bump stop". There's a post on it around here somewhere (back in December). The clown on the phone said they'd run fine without modifying the strut (bilstein sport..that was *theoretical* -- I asked them what they recommended I use) and he'd never heard of anyone cutting the internal bump stops.

best, whit